Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 F body to LS1

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V6 F body to LS1

I have an 02 sunset orange metallic v6 f body. would just buy a whole new car like everyone always suggets but love the color. Anyone know a good site that lists all the parts needed for the swap. I see so many places saying you only need an engine, then hear you need engine, suspension, trans. Then I hear it depends on the years. What I'm doing exactly is wanting to put an LS1 into an '02 V6 firebird. If there are a few parts I want need then all the better. I just want to build a mild performance v8. Headers exhaust MAYBE a mild cam nothing big so if anyon has any referrences or your own personal list of stuff needed please post. I know the v6 to LS1 is posted everywhere but like I said its hard to find any specifics for what I'm wanting to do. Guys please help really new to this. And thanks everyone in advance for your help
Old 11-28-2007, 02:37 PM
Banned

well - look in the for sale section - maybe you'll fine a good used ls1 long-block.

you will need a trans to work with the ls1, a new K-meber and wiring harness... PCM will need to be flashed obviously. suspension isn't necessary to make the parts work, but the car wont handle well with the stock V-6 suspension.

you'll obviously need all of the accessories to fit w/ the ls1. water pump/ps. pump/all brackets and tensioner and idlers.

it's not going to be a difficult swap - but probably difficult to locate all the parts you need.

feel free to give us a call if you need any parts, or tech help.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

www.tacreationsusa.com has a lot of good info.

best place to start get a pull out ls1 with harness and acceccories out of a 2002 ls1 car get you a ls1 tranny you will need the k member and the ls1 steering wrack unless you have the y87 rpo code then you have the ls1 wrack, front springs will need to be changed to ls1 style due to the spring rate to help control the added weight rears not such a big deal, you will need the ls1 radiator but you can use the v6 fans, biggest issue is you will need to upgrade the fuel system you will need ls1 lines and an upgraded pump, due to the whole lack of return line thing on the ls1 or you can look up the part number for a 97 vette fuel rail it has a partition for a return line in which case you can use the v6 lines but you will need a better pump still.
rear end will hold aslong as you dont abuse to much. supposedly if you match the harness by years it is a plug and play swap.

you will need to get ls1 pedals v6 is drive by wire not cable unless you get a vette pull out in which case its the same setup but not sure if the wires are compatible better stick to ls1 parts and get you a throttle cable i made a post not long ago about the part number from lokar for a steelbraided covered cable that was like 42 dollars and looks great.

you will need the ls1 guage cluster.

i think that is the hard parts the rest you will just have to figure out as you go cause it boils down to personal preference.

im doing this swap as we speak but im not exchanging stock for stock look up my screen name in the appearence section under assembled 414 and you will see what im doing
Old 11-28-2007, 03:19 PM
Banned

^^^ good info. there is a LOT you'll have to change out. like i said, the install wont be the hard part. finding all the little odds and ends is going to be the difficult part.

if you can find a pull-out motor/trans w/ a harness, that's your best bet as far as everything being complete and ready to bolt into the car.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

actually i got my rails from you guys thanks for the great price so hit them up if you need stuff
Old 11-29-2007, 11:08 AM
Teching In

What about locating a totalled ws6 and get all the parts from it that you need to do the swap...?? just a tought
Old 12-01-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best bet would be to find a wrecked 99-02 car, and swap the K members, (motor, trans, all in one shot)

use a set of 98 corvette fuel rails, and keep your feed/return line at the front. GEt some AN fittings, to connect the 2 hardlines to the 2 lines of the fuel rail.

That's what I would do.

Ryan