Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed banging LTs

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 11:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fixed banging LTs

I bought a certain LT header that includes header, cats, a a Y-pipe. Apparently, it is known to cause banging and sure enough, my set did not fit and banged like hell.

The y-pipe was so close to the floor boards in three places that it banged constantly. The manufacturer refused to refund my money claiming that I should use a crowbar instead (yeh I have an e-mail that I may post for a laugh)!!!

So what to do????

I fabricated some sheets of aluminum screening (the kind you use to keep flies out of your house) and rolled them into garden hose shaped pieces. I then used 3" hose clamps to secure them to the pipes in the locations where they were hitting the floor boards...

It looks like **** but it was effective...
Old 06-23-2003, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Fixed banging LTs

It is a shame you have to do that but glad you got the banging stopped. I have a good idea what headers you purchased.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Below is the manufaturer's suggestion to fix $1,300 pair of headers that do not fit my car:

Saw your issues about FLP headers. Pry down on the y-pipe to give the needed clearance and shave the oil drain plug. If you are burning the oil filter... you might need a tune. Just a few suggestions. :o) Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Mitch
FLP
630-820-9294 ext. 222
630-820-9259 fax
www.flp2win.com
www.flpdyno.com
Old 06-24-2003, 12:58 PM
10 Second Club

I know a lot of people complain about FLP's Y-pipe hitting the floorboard. Personally, I've had 3 different set's of headers on my car: FLP's, TTS's, and now Kooks. Everyone one of them hit's my floorboards, and I bet Hookers would to. I'm not saying this is right by no means, but I have come to live with the fact they will bang and a little mod will be needed. BTW, Header wrap folded up using clamps to hold it in place works very nice as well....

Dan
Old 06-24-2003, 01:23 PM
Launching!

I know a lot of people complain about FLP's Y-pipe hitting the floorboard. Personally, I've had 3 different set's of headers on my car: FLP's, TTS's, and now Kooks. Everyone one of them hit's my floorboards, and I bet Hookers would to. I'm not saying this is right by no means, but I have come to live with the fact they will bang and a little mod will be needed. BTW, Header wrap folded up using clamps to hold it in place works very nice as well....

Dan
Hey Dan, I told you the other day that replacing the drivers side motor mount with a poly one will take care of this problem. My TTS headers have never even touched the floorboard.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey Dan, I told you the other day that replacing the drivers side motor mount with a poly one will take care of this problem. My TTS headers have never even touched the floorboard.
I agree. I put apoly motor mount on the drivers side while I was doing my Jet Hot install and I don't have any of the k-member banging problems and it is pretty close.