Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Strange 12-bolt weight list inside

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 04:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strange 12-bolt weight list inside

Not trying to start anything, just throwing out some weights I've taken over the years...

I keep seeing lots of threads on 12-bolt vs. 9-inch, etc. The both have their advantage (12-bolts take less power to turn, 9-inch is obviously easier for gear swaps if you have another center section, etc.).

My Strange 12-bolt assembly is much lighter than a 9-inch, but it should be given the axle size, tube size, etc.

For those interested, the full width Strange 12-bolt in my car has the following weights, full:

+164.75 with no brakes but with H/D posi, ABS reluctor ring, 33-spline Strange axles, studs, & fluid
+21.75 (21.89, but lets round) for the rear Strange brakes (complete)
- 11 for gun-drilled, star-flanged Moser 33-spline axles with Ti studs
- 16 for lightened Strange steel spool (vs. posi w/ABS reluctor)
- 0.75 for lightened ring gear

Total: 137# wet but w/o Strange brakes, 158.75# wet with the full Strange brake kit on.

For the big bucks, you can go with a KTRE / Mark Williams with 35-spline gun-drilled and lightened flange, aluminum spool, drive studs, etc. All this for a mere $3744.30 plus shipping. Makes the Strange 12-bolt, S60, or Moser M9 or standard 9-inch look like a deal.

http://www.markwilliams.com/detail.aspx?ID=789
Old 12-06-2007, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not starting anything either... but...Cheaper doesnt necessarily mean better. Or even near as strong.

I have to laugh at everytime I hear someone ask where to get the cheapest this or that. Then not to much later only hear them come back to bitch and complain about something... noise, broken this, that doesnt fit too well... etc etc. A differential isnt something to skimp on. A good deal is a good deal, yes. But, you are paying a price in the long run for a few dollars less. Experience and attention to detail isnt included with the cheaper price tag.

Anyway... the price difference for the Williams stuff is mainly in the axles. The 35 spline superlight hi torque axles are a $750.00 option. Not to mention the $460.00 extra for an aluminum spool. So... minus the 'top of the line' options... its right back where everyone else sells their own assemblies. But with the attention to detail of MW and a billet 1350 yoke as standard.

Their standard street/strip package (which is at least equal to and actually is superrior to what others offer) is $2925.00. And you dont hear about gear whine and breakage like you do with the others.

I'd say that is worth the buck or two more... over the rest.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chicane
Not starting anything either... but...Cheaper doesnt necessarily mean better. Or even near as strong.

I have to laugh at everytime I hear someone ask where to get the cheapest this or that. Then not to much later only hear them come back to bitch and complain about something... noise, broken this, that doesnt fit too well... etc etc. A differential isnt something to skimp on. A good deal is a good deal, yes. But, you are paying a price in the long run for a few dollars less. Experience and attention to detail isnt included with the cheaper price tag.

Anyway... the price difference for the Williams stuff is mainly in the axles. The 35 spline superlight hi torque axles are a $750.00 option. Not to mention the $460.00 extra for an aluminum spool. So... minus the 'top of the line' options... its right back where everyone else sells their own assemblies. But with the attention to detail of MW and a billet 1350 yoke as standard.

Their standard street/strip package (which is at least equal to and actually is superrior to what others offer) is $2925.00. And you dont hear about gear whine and breakage like you do with the others.

I'd say that is worth the buck or two more... over the rest.
I've used Mark Williams axles on another car of mine, and their parts are VERY nice. I got a very good deal on my Strange rear years ago. I just wanted to post up weights for people to compare the options.

I see a lot of opinions floating around, but little facts. Just thought I'd share some weights vs. approximations. Take care. Dave
Old 12-08-2007, 02:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We should create a weights listing... and this is a great start Dave !!

Quick Reply: Strange 12-bolt weight list inside