Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo pipes in atmosphere or back into exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo pipes in atmosphere or back into exhaust?

How many of you are running your turbo pipes into the atmosphere versus plumbing it back into the exhast system. I've run it both ways and definitely prefer the latter but did not know how much HP and TQE I was losing between 3-5K RPM on the steet?
Old 12-07-2007, 12:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wheeljo2
How many of you are running your turbo pipes into the atmosphere versus plumbing it back into the exhast system. I've run it both ways and definitely prefer the latter but did not know how much HP and TQE I was losing between 3-5K RPM on the steet?
It truly depends on what size turbos youre running, also what size DP/Exhaust is on the car. In my experience, t3/t4 turbos on a 302 ci engine with 2.5" downpipes lost 35 rwhp by recirculating. On the flip side, it sounds and looks much cleaner (if properly setup) if they recirculate. Also, not another exhaust port spraying excess everywhere.

On the same motor with t4 turbos and 3" downpipes, it lost 1 rwhp on back to back dyno runs.

IMHO, recirculate them and have a cleaner, better sounding kit with a negligible amount of performance loss (depending on the setup of course)

-Wade
Old 12-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks Wade, I would certainly have to agree with you. I'm running an HP TT Kit with 57mm turbos dumped into 2.5" exhaust 10 lbs boost on my forged 347 C5. How about cats, will they hold up under the heat and what are the best ones (round to fit in my exhaust tunnel)?
Old 12-12-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

let the world know whats going down, dump to atmosphere. It will also gain power and responsiveness plus sound awesome
Old 12-12-2007, 10:48 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dumped to atmosphere here! Sound's awesome and also spool's quicker!

Quick Reply: Turbo pipes in atmosphere or back into exhaust?