Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMMG Install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 11:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMMG Install?

How hard is it to install a GMMG Chambered catback? I'm going to be hopefully getting one in the next few weeks, and I was wondering if it would be easy enough for my dad and I to maybe do ourselves, or take it to a muffler shop? What is all involved in it, is it a direct bolt on? I'm not sure? Anyways any opinions are welcome! About how much do you think a muffler shop would charge for the install? Thanks!
Old 06-24-2003, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: GMMG Install?

It should be a direct bolt on... Nice and easy, very straight forward. The only hard part is getting the old pipe removed from over the rear axle. You can go two or three ways. The hardest way is to drop the rear end and take it out in one piece. The other way is to make one cut and try and angle the old exhaust out, but the easiest way, and the way I did mine, is to make two cuts on the intermediate pipe and it should just fall out. Good luck.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should be a direct bolt on... Nice and easy, very straight forward. The only hard part is getting the old pipe removed from over the rear axle. You can go two or three ways. The hardest way is to drop the rear end and take it out in one piece. The other way is to make one cut and try and angle the old exhaust out, but the easiest way, and the way I did mine, is to make two cuts on the intermediate pipe and it should just fall out. Good luck.
Yeah...what he said!

The only other thing I had slight difficutly with was aligning everything so that the exit pipes/tips looked straight, level, and even. The rear section is a one-piece welded design, so all the adjustment comes from the joints...it wasn't too bad, just be patient...the sound is worth the effort!! Oh yeah...save the hassle and just resign yourself to making the 2 cuts to the over-axle pipe...you'll save a monster headache!!

GMMG
Old 06-25-2003, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

I put on my catback with no jacks on the car and i only made one cut above the axle. that way if you ever want the stock exhaust back on its one weld instead of two.
justin