Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

hooking up normal speaker in sale panel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hooking up normal speaker in sale panel?

for a 2000 trans am...it had the 6.5" subs in the sail panel. they are blown, i wanna put normal 6.5" 4 way speakers in there. how can a newbie re-wire this. thanks a lot guys.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

simply put, hook em up. if they sound funny its prolly bc you got the pos and neg backwards on one or both of them. the bass should get louder the more speakers are hooked up, not softer, if it gets softer then you got the wires backward.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only way to put a full range speaker in the sail panel and get full range sound without resorting to aftermarket amps or HU is to wire them off the rear hatch speakers wiring. The sails on the Monsoon are bass only so just hooking them up will not work for full range sound. You have to have a full range signal to get full range sound.
Your only other options are to buy an aftermarket HU and use it to power your speakers without using the Monsoon or use an aftermarket amp to run to your speakers.
If you just hook a set of coaxials to that area it will sound funny because you won't get anything but bass from that location.
For the record a 4-way coaxials is a complete waste of time. A quality 2-way coaxial will be more than sufficient for that application. You won't see more than one tweeter on a good pair of coaxials. Hope this helps!
Old 12-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
For the record a 4-way coaxials is a complete waste of time. A quality 2-way coaxial will be more than sufficient for that application. You won't see more than one tweeter on a good pair of coaxials. Hope this helps!
Really??? I could have sworn I saw this incredible set of 4-way speakers the other day at Wal*Mart! The very knowledgeable 16-year-old salesperson told me they were the best speakers made for only $19.95 a pair!
Old 12-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Banned

LOL!! Now that's funny right there! Same kid told me the same thing about the new Visonik sub they had for $49.00 that had the amp built into the back of the enclosure. I had to just shake my head and walk away!
Old 12-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was steered to the upmarket Roadmaster equipment
Old 12-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Banned

I actually have a pair of those sitting here right now that I uninstalled from an Integra. LOL!! They have a beautiful shiny red cone....in some places where the sub didn't fade it anyway.