Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Need help from someone whos broken down TA door panels...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 12:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help from someone whos broken down TA door panels...

Im working on reupholstering the door panels, and have them mostly broken down, just was curious how to get the trim piece with the speakers off the main section of the door? Theres little tabs on the back... they look like pop pins, but appear to be melted on... just drill them out as the easiest way? Or is there another less destructive way? I tried to cut off the ends like the rest of the tabs, but it seems like its all melted together. I was using the writeup on lastofthebreed, but they dont go into detail about how to take this part off. Any help before i start hacking away?? Haha. Thanks! Heres a pic just to be clear...
Attached Thumbnails Need help from someone whos broken down TA door panels...-door.jpg  
Old 12-12-2007, 01:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't believe I did that when swapping to Suede. Depending on what you are doing, I don't think you need to do that.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well I got the insert out (pain in the ***), but I wanted to wrap the entire panel in a black vinyl, so I needed to get it all completely apart. Thanks for the reply, though!
Old 12-12-2007, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

plastic welds. heat them up and pull it off. then just re weld them.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

I have the cloth interior and replaced the black cloth in the door panels with silver stock-like cloth that I got at a fabric store for $5 or $6 a yard. I bought 4 yards (in case of mistakes and to have left over) and only used about half.

Here is the write-up I followed to do the silver inserts in my door panels:
http://www.lastofthebreed.com/Instal.../DoorPanel.htm
Except that instead of re-melting the posts, I used a blob of LockTite Plastic Epoxy on each post and kept some pressure/weight on the panel to hold it together untill the epoxy hardened. I didn't use contact cement for the whole thing either, only the edges that get folded over so that I didn't get any glue bleeding through the cloth. I used some "carpet tape" also around the edge that doesnt get folded over to help hold things in place.

I also covered the center console lid in the same silver cloth.

Sorry, no pictures.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah thats the writeup i used, but it only covers getting out the insert, it doesnt go into getting the rest of the door pieces apart, which is what im after. Whats the best way to melt those tabs and get them off? Soldering iron? Id be afraid to use a heatgun on it for fear of warping the surrounding plastic...

Quick Reply: Need help from someone whos broken down TA door panels...