Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 T56 to 4L60e - harness conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 11:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 T56 to 4L60e - harness conversion

I am working on an infiniti j30, installing a LS1/4L60e. The motor and harness came out of a 2000 camero SS with a T56. I swapped the T56 for a 98 year model 4L60e. I finally have the drivetrain in place and am needing to do the harness.

I am not real familiar with this drivetrain. I am more accustomed to older technology with far fewer wires. I have a few questions Id sure like help with...

Will the LS1/T56 computer work with a 4L60e, if I add the connections to the 4L60e? How do I incorporate the 4L60e wiring into my harness? are the ends soldered? Is it better to try and swap for a 4L60e harness and simplify it, or send the harness off and have it done?

I have read about the safety issue, VATS, I believe. Is it better to have the computer reprogrammed to eliminate it? Ive read about simple electronics to get around it. If that is a recommended solution, does anyone offer it?

Is the computer mounted under the hood or in the car?

I appreciate the help.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:10 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The t56 PCM will run the 4l60e, but you will have to have it reflashed to a 4l60e operating system.

In order to put the 4l60e wiring in you will have to add wires by opening up the harness and putting them in. You will have to get wire and the crimp on connectors. You can get the crimp on connectors and wire at some autoparts stores (think full service like NAPA, some carquest, etc), but the actual connectors would probably have to come from GM or speartech.

It would be Far easier to swap for a 4l60e harness.

Unless you really want the added security of being able to carry the VATS bypass with you it is better to just tune it out of the computer.

Speartech and wait4meperformance are both familiar with what tuning needs to be done in a conversion situation.

The computer can be mounted underhood or inside the car depending on where you want to put it.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate your help. Where are the factory PCMs mounted? Where did you mount yours?

My factory j30 shifter is mechanically a 3 speed shifter with a sideways action (electronic switch) for 1st gear. Is there a possiblity of sending a signal to the PCM to have it put the trans in low gear? I like the factory shifter...and low gear.

Do you think I can get away with the factor j30 radiator? It appears to be a 2 core unit. Did the LS1's come with 3 core? The original motor had a mechanical fan. I dont see mounts for one on the LS1. I assume the LS1 had an electric fan? If so, does the PCM control it?

Do the LS1 exhaust manifolds need gaskets? Or, do they bold directly to the heads?

Thanks again.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:37 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The factory PCM`s are engine compartment mounted, same with mine.

For the shifter you may be able to modify it to have positions for a 4 speed. Your idea of using an electrical switch may work, but I don`t know of anyone doing it with a factory PCM, the aftermarket transmission controllers could probably handle it. It may be possible with the facotyr PCM using HPTuners or EFILive7 and the 2 switch setting, but that is Way above my head. I still cannot figure out what the 2 switch setting does, but my hunch is it may have something to do with electronically locking the trans into a gear.

I`m not sure about the radiator, I`m not familiar with the size of the infiniti rads.

The LS1 is set up for electric fans, which are controlled by the PCM.

Yep the exhaust manifolds need gaskets. The PN`s are in the hall of fame sticky (the link to the FAQ sticky)

Quick Reply: LS1 T56 to 4L60e - harness conversion