Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Trouble after CD Player install

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trouble after CD Player install

I got a cd player for my winter beater, a 94 f150, and I was installing it tonight. I bought the wire harness, attached the wires color-to-color, and installed it. Once I had the CD player all hooked up I turned the truck on. The LCD screen lights up, but I don't get a display or anything, just the backlight. Did I cross some wires?

Oddly enough, this is why we asked for a cd player for the truck this year. The factory units lights would turn on when we turned on the headlights of the truck, but we could never get it to play anything or get a display on the screen. Maybe that helps?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Happy Holidays.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:24 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Did you check the fuses? The radio has three power wires - one is constant (battery) for the memory and clock, one is for the dash illumination, and one is ignition controlled. If the fuse is blown on the ignition controlled circuit it will cause the symptoms you describe. Look for a fuse labeled Radio, Pwr Accy, or something similar. I'd hate to think you bought a new head unit for the sake of a fuse.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

I just pulled off the fuse cover from inside the cab and checked the fuse named "Radio; Radio Display Dim" and it was fine. But, I did find another issue that might cause it? There are 2 wires that didnt correspond to any of the others when I was putting the harnesses together. There is an orange wire, with a white stripe, and a blue wire with a white stripe. Where can I go to find a wiring diagram for a 94 ford f150 to see what these could be? Or is it common knowledge what these should connect to?
Old 12-27-2007, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

Here are pictures of what the harness looks like if it helps:

Old 12-27-2007, 10:06 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

I don't have a manual for a 94...97 is the oldest I could find. There is a Radio fuse in the dash fuse panel and an Audio System fuse in the underhood fuse box. Always test a fuse with a fuse tester/multimeter or replace with a known good fuse - they can look fine but still be blown.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, I'll go run up to the parts store and buy some good fuses and replace them. Thanks for all your help.