Need Driver Side Rocker Arm Pedistal

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Driver Side Rocker Arm Pedistal

i am stranded in arkansas at my folks until i get my car fixed. to make a long story short, while putting the pushrods and rocker arms back in after checking to see if i had any bent ones, i stripped the rear driver side rocker arm bolt hole. and somehow i broke the pedistal. so i deperately need one. and now i have to take off the head and drill and tap it. and while im in there i want to check to see if i have a lifter tapping. but i dont know how to check for that. because i think thats what it is. ive eliminated everything else i though it could be. thats actually why i checked the pushrods. that was my last step before deciding it was the lifters. any help would be appreciated guys. thanks. Dan
Old 01-01-2008, 06:57 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would drill and tap it on the car been there done that! Angle drill for the rear portions. And then install your helicoil etc.. Once you have your helicoil in if it is slightly off due to the fact you are using just your eys I just sanded off anything sticking up past the pedistal so that the rocker arm pedistal sits totally flat. Good luck!
Old 01-02-2008, 01:18 AM
TECH Resident

anyway to tell the difference between the driver and passenger side rocker arm pedistal. because i only need the driver side. or are they just the same. thanks
Old 01-02-2008, 02:32 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Same on both sides
Old 01-02-2008, 03:14 AM
11 Second Club

I dont think the bolts bottom out when you have the rocker arm in place. I had one break on me when using a bad torque wrench (rental from autozone). The bolt broke flush with the hole so I used a flathead screwdriver and a hammer to tap the bolt couterclockwise on a little raised place that was left from when it had snapped. If the thread really is stripped or broke farther in the hole you will have a problem.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:36 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

I didn't see him say anything about the bolt breaking off in there I could be wrong though or maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

I didn't see him say anything about the bolt breaking off in there I could be wrong though or maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying.
your right. no broken bolt. just stripped the bolt hole. but thanks for the advice.