Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I use the stuff from one set of heads in another set???

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 05:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I use the stuff from one set of heads in another set???

Okay, I have a set of MMS Stg. 2 LS1 heads...unfortunately, there was too much material taken out of one of them, and a water jacket ruptured, pooring coolant into the exhaust.

Anyways, everything else checks out fine with them, soo can I use the valves, springs, retainers, etc. from these heads in a set of LS6 or 6.0 heads after I have them P&P'ed??

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2003, 02:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: Can I use the stuff from one set of heads in another set???

I thought aluminum heads could be repaired easily...

before you junk your heads make sure they cannot be repaired....

...the company that ported the heads should provide you with a new replacement head free of charge....ask them to re-imburse the labor and parts too!
Old 07-01-2003, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Well, I would like to upgrade the heads...

These heads are on a 99 motor that came out of my gf's 99 TA. I bought the car from an individual in So. Cal. and after I told hiim what happened, he let me know the heads are over 2 years old, and have 12k miles on them (which I already knew the mileage). Soo since I am not the original purchaser, I dont believe I have a claim...I could be wrong tho.

Old 07-01-2003, 04:21 PM
TECH Veteran

...well, if you know the seller of your car and he is willing to help you then (i) ask him to call the porting company that sold him the heads and complain, or (ii) represent your self as the original buyer of the heads and complain yourself...

....in either event, see if you can get your hands on the original paperwork documenting the head sale....

...look, you bought a car with defective replacement heads; it is not your fault that the porting company shaved too much material from the exhaust port....ask them if this head was a prototype that was un-tested. Tell them there is an impied warranty since you paid full value for the heads and that the transaction is based on the premise that you were buying heads that were free of material defects.....a whole in the exhaust port demonstrates his heads were defective when sold....(the standard legal argument any reasonable person would use)

you will not receive anything unless you pursue it...

...you might work a deal with this so-called porting company and say that you are willing to surrender your defective heads and pay a small amount for a new set of updated heads that are not defective...

...you must be careful in this tack since your payment information may conflict with the name of the original purchaser....if this is a possiblity, work a deal with the seller of the car to have him cut the check....obviously, this is dangerous if the seller is not completely honest...

...sort of Lets Make a Deal!