Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

odd issues: DTC 300, clanging, runs like a bat out of hell though

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default odd issues: DTC 300, clanging, runs like a bat out of hell though

Ok guys I am lost. I've been trying and testing to figure out what the hell is happening.

car is an 02ss auto. 228/232 comp XER cam. 3.23 gears with Fuddle 3200 stall. dual springs. QTP headers magnaflow exhaust. under drive crank pulley

car runs like a scalded dog and actually runs perfectly fine throughout. Hold the throttle just off idle ~1200rpm and slow speed cruising causes 300 to show up. Goes away with faster speed and car never runs oddly.

cylinder 4 consistantly misfires and 3 is right behind it.

#4 plug shows rich not oil but fuel. #3 looks slightly lean but not bad. No damage to any plugs or anything abnormal on the rest. all are gapped correctly.

plugs, coils, injectors, and wires have all been swapped around with no change in cylinder misfire. Getting plenty of fuel and plenty of spark. Wiring harness has been checked and is fine.

leak down and compression test are fine and consistant to adjacent cylinders.

push rods are straight, rocker arms rotate freely, and springs are not broken. Rockers are not loose on the car either. I rotated the engine over and checked them all when they were not loaded. I even reinstalled them in this manner.

the engine sounds like it has a top end clang on the passenger side. It's pretty bad to me honestly. I can not find where it is loose though. What are the chances that the lifters are somehow not holding up under pressure yet not bleeding down over night. I checked rockers after the car had sat over night.

did a crank position relearn. no change. The 300 did not show up until a little while after the cam and stall change. No other codes are present.

There appears to be a slightly inbalance in the driveline as the car doesn't smooth out off idle. Engine is running smoothly but car is shaking. I'm thinking about swapping TC out for the stocker. I did however disconnect the TC from the flywheel and the engine still throws 300.

I'm so lost. I'm leaning towards lifters but that doesn't make much sense to me. The oddity of the plugs on #3 and 4 really have me scratching my head.

Any suggestions? I'm all ears at this point. I think I have listed everything. Thanks
Old 01-04-2008, 07:37 AM
TECH Resident

everyone else is lost as well?
Old 11-05-2008, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Snow Dog
Ok guys I am lost. I've been trying and testing to figure out what the hell is happening.

car is an 02ss auto. 228/232 comp XER cam. 3.23 gears with Fuddle 3200 stall. dual springs. QTP headers magnaflow exhaust. under drive crank pulley

car runs like a scalded dog and actually runs perfectly fine throughout. Hold the throttle just off idle ~1200rpm and slow speed cruising causes 300 to show up. Goes away with faster speed and car never runs oddly.

cylinder 4 consistantly misfires and 3 is right behind it.

#4 plug shows rich not oil but fuel. #3 looks slightly lean but not bad. No damage to any plugs or anything abnormal on the rest. all are gapped correctly.

plugs, coils, injectors, and wires have all been swapped around with no change in cylinder misfire. Getting plenty of fuel and plenty of spark. Wiring harness has been checked and is fine.

leak down and compression test are fine and consistant to adjacent cylinders.

push rods are straight, rocker arms rotate freely, and springs are not broken. Rockers are not loose on the car either. I rotated the engine over and checked them all when they were not loaded. I even reinstalled them in this manner.

the engine sounds like it has a top end clang on the passenger side. It's pretty bad to me honestly. I can not find where it is loose though. What are the chances that the lifters are somehow not holding up under pressure yet not bleeding down over night. I checked rockers after the car had sat over night.

did a crank position relearn. no change. The 300 did not show up until a little while after the cam and stall change. No other codes are present.

There appears to be a slightly inbalance in the driveline as the car doesn't smooth out off idle. Engine is running smoothly but car is shaking. I'm thinking about swapping TC out for the stocker. I did however disconnect the TC from the flywheel and the engine still throws 300.

I'm so lost. I'm leaning towards lifters but that doesn't make much sense to me. The oddity of the plugs on #3 and 4 really have me scratching my head.

Any suggestions? I'm all ears at this point. I think I have listed everything. Thanks
Damn I wish you had a reply to this as I am experiencing similiar issues...
Old 11-05-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

You're not going to like this. One of the lifters on cylinder number 4 turned sideways on the cam. This took the cam and lifter out obviously. Metal went through the engine and that necessitated a rebuild. All this because the lifter tray was cracked. LS2/3 lifter trays and LS7 lifters went in while the engine was apart. I have no idea how the original tray cracked. I put this cam in without removing the heads.