Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

VORTEC OR LS1 motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VORTEC OR LS1 motor

Ok guys I have a question.

I am trying to get this motor from a guy that is going out of bussiness and he doesnt know anything about the motor. the heads are Alum and the intake ports look just like the LSx style ports. Is there any chance in HELL that this is a vortec motor?

#2 if it is a Vortec motor, how much will it be worth? I've never delt w/ the vortec stuff before.

I was told that the Vortec (2001+) and the LSx engines are almost identical. If you can help me out, I'd send my wife to... well I cant send her to you, but I'd dam sure be thankful.

Doc
Old 01-03-2008, 08:02 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

There is the 96-98 vortec from the trucks that were the original, the 99+ were a LSx style labeled vortec.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

Location: sneaking in your back door as you leave!/cartersville ga
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there are easy ways to tell if you are sending her to buy it. waterpump is different. the 2 o'clock bellhousing bolt is not tapped. and countless other differences. but probably the easiest way is there will be no distributor on a ls style motor

but the intake ports were the intake sits. that is a dead give away

and the word vortec is a common and general term used by gm for there motors since the late 90's