Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to wire a master disconnect switch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Default how to wire a master disconnect switch?

I have just bought a Taylor master disconnect switch, with 4 posts so the alternator dies when the switch is triggered. My question is how to wire the alternator:
~I could take the big red 10gauge wire all the way to the switch at the back of the car, which worries me a bit, having that big live cable twice the length of the car.
~I have heard of switching the trigger wire of the alternator, which would solve the big cable issue: is this a valid way of doing it? On the back of my alternator (2004 Silverado SS, 6.0L LQ9), I have 3 wires: light blue, brown and grey; which one is the trigger wire that needs to be switched?
~Any other thoughts?
Thanks
Old 01-04-2008, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Another question about the wiring of the master switch: does it matter to racing bodies (NHRA or others) care about the way the switch is wired, as long as it kills the alternator?
Old 01-04-2008, 05:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

L terminal is the trigger wire, not sure what color it is.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

even if you kill the trigger wire, it'll still put out some voltage
Old 01-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Presuming that the switch you have has one huge contact w/2 studs, and one small contact w/2 studs? (double pole, single throw) If so, just route your ignition through that small contact. No ignition, no run. No need to worry about the alternator.
Scotty
Old 01-04-2008, 11:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wave1957
Another question about the wiring of the master switch: does it matter to racing bodies (NHRA or others) care about the way the switch is wired, as long as it kills the alternator?
YES, it does. I don't know the exact wording for NHRA, but my understanding is that it must must kill all power to the car--that means both battery and alternator. My advice would be to get a copy of the rulebooks for the sanctioning bodies you care about, or at least find someone who can quote the exact rules to you (I can't).

Generally speaking, you run the main battery through the big terminals, and run something from the alternator (either the output wire or the field/idiot light wire) through the small terminals. Some people use the small terminals to energize a relay inserted in one of the alternator circuits so they don't have to run the alternator wiring all the way to the back of the car.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:52 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you run the output wire of the alternator through a disconnect switch and then hit the disconnect while the car is running it will burn out the voltage regulator. When you disconnect a running alternator from a battery it tries to keep charging and ends up spiking to 50+ volts which kills the regulator.

Quick Reply: how to wire a master disconnect switch?