Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Odo and Radio Clock Displays Out

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Odo and Radio Clock Displays Out

The LCD's on my Monsoon and my Odo/Trip LCD's are dark. I can shine a flashlight at them and read the numbers, so they are functioning, but there is no light emiting from them. I lived with the Monsoon for years, then it came back on for a while, then I hit a bump hard soon after I lowered my car and both the radio and Odo went dark. They have been out for months now. I have heard it may be a short, maybe even in the taillights??? Any experiences would be welcomed.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Default On the same circuit

I assume your gauge needles are still working OK? If so, its an electrical problem on the circuit that feeds the back lights.

The radio back light, headlamp switch illumination, 5 instrument panel lights, HVAC control lights, and others are all wired together. (I assume your HVAC controls and headlamp switch don't light up either?)

They are all wired directly to fuse 16, "IP DIMMER," and are all fed by 22 ga. grey wires from the fuse panel. Further upstream, the circuit is also fed by fuse 5, "TAIL LPS." If both of those fuses are OK, the problem is probably with your Dimmer Dial. (Next to your headlight switch.) You should see 12V on the 18 ga. brown wire feeding the dial (when you turn on the headlights) and the dimmer should adjust the voltage you see at the 18 ga. dark green wire. (The dark green wire directly feeds the fuse.)

If the two fuses above are OK and your dimmer dial checks out, you either have a wiring problem, problem with the daytime running lamp module, or the headlight switch itself.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wssix99

If the two fuses above are OK and your dimmer dial checks out, you either have a wiring problem, problem with the daytime running lamp module, or the headlight switch itself.
Sounds like you know what you are talking about! I'll get under that dash soon (ugh) and follow the wires and fuses you described. Thanks very much for the response. I'll post up afterward.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

I assume your gauge needles are still working OK?
Yes
The radio back light, headlamp switch illumination, 5 instrument panel lights, HVAC control lights, and others are all wired together. (I assume your HVAC controls and headlamp switch don't light up either?)
Just the numeric display and odo/trip meter are out. Balance of those mentioned are working.

Right turn signal is not working now, and the right DRL is intermittent.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I don't happen to share your misfortune, but do have the electrical schematics handy from another project.

If your HVAC controls light up, I would guess that you have a short in your electrical harnesses somewhere. The HVAC control lights, radio backlight, and instrument lights, etc. should all be fed by individual 22 ga. grey wires, which should all be spliced together to the 20 ga. grey wire coming off of the IP DIMMER fuse.

It really could be a number of things. Given that your gremlin seems to be influenced by the bump, I'd be inclined to check the splice or for cuts in the harness. That being said, fishing through the harnesses involved could be a very involved job. If the grey wires feeding your accessories are indeed dead, you might have an easier time running new wires from the fuse to the connectors.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

If the grey wires feeding your accessories are indeed dead, you might have an easier time running new wires from the fuse to the connectors.
Sounds like the best route as some days I don't have the patience needed to trace a gremlin.