Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

My 10 Bolt is making noises!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 10 Bolt is making noises!!

So I just got my car yesterday...I can tell the previous owners never really did any maintenance on the car. Its a 2002 with TCS and stock gears.

I got to driving it, and I noticed there is like a grinding sound coming from the rear. It doesn't really sound high pitched or anything, its just a drone out grinding noise.

Could it be the diff. or axle bearings? I'm relatively new to Fbodies.

Thanks.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

axle bearings mine were messed up . just changed my gears out last week and found out that the axle bearings were messed up from the factory
Old 01-06-2008, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

yeah, thats the first thing i'm going to look at. i hope that is the only thing wrong. i don't want to replace the whole rear.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mgcook
yeah, thats the first thing i'm going to look at. i hope that is the only thing wrong. i don't want to replace the whole rear.
I would start saving for a new rear. The rear ends on these cars are not very good.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

When my bearings went they messed up the axles and they had to be replaced
Old 01-07-2008, 11:01 PM
FormerVendor

So I just got my car yesterday...I can tell the previous owners never really did any maintenance on the car. Its a 2002 with TCS and stock gears.

I got to driving it, and I noticed there is like a grinding sound coming from the rear. It doesn't really sound high pitched or anything, its just a drone out grinding noise.

Could it be the diff. or axle bearings? I'm relatively new to Fbodies.

Thanks.

Is the noise constant or does it increase and decrease with speed? We carry Bearing Kits and individual parts in stock , whatever you need to fix the differential. Let me know if we can help you out.

Jeff
Old 01-08-2008, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

It it kinda sorta does increase with speed, but its not a huge difference..once I get going, it starts making noises and stays.

I can roll it down my driveway in neutral with the car turned off...and once it starts rolling you can start to hear it, even with the car barely moving.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:44 AM
FormerVendor

It it kinda sorta does increase with speed, but its not a huge difference..once I get going, it starts making noises and stays.

I can roll it down my driveway in neutral with the car turned off...and once it starts rolling you can start to hear it, even with the car barely moving.
Sounds like pinion bearings. I would just do a rebuild. If it has not been going on for too long the gear will most likely be okay.

Jeff
Old 01-08-2008, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

I hope its not anything where I have to rebuild it.

I'm going to look into it more this weekend. It's been doing it for a while from what the previous owner told me, but I think her son in law had the car out once and drove it hard and probably broke something.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Yeah sounds likes gears, when mine went the first time chevy rebuilt it from wheel bearing to wheel bearing supposedly but that was about 3 weeks ago and its clunking again now, I dont beat it at all really, just my daily driver, good thing I got a warranty. And it only has 59000 on it.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

Hey not to hijack your thread dude but I thought it's be better just to post in here rather than make a new thread.

My rear has a high pitched whine that does change with speed. Jaws do have an idea of what the could be?