Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

how can the sail panel mid-bass speakers sound better?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default how can the sail panel mid-bass speakers sound better?

i just replaced the stock mid bass speakers in the sail panel with 6.5" kicker free air subs and to me they could sound alot better than they do. they sound alot better than the stockers, actually has some bass to it that can be felt, but definatly isnt as good as they could sound if in a proper box. i was wondering if spraying some sound deadener into the area behind the speaker or maybe even using some fiberglass and trying to isolate the area, basicly creating a speaker box. has anyone done anything like this to try to make the midbass sound better, and how did it turn out? any suggestions?
Old 01-07-2008, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

amp them... do you have a TA or Camaro? Be sure you have them wired properly as well...seems as if you do though, since you say they are better than stock.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, use deadener. Try some Second Skin sludge. An amp is a good idea as well. 6.5" subs are never going to sound great, though.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 6.5" speakers are NEVER going to replace a good subwoofer. They are really more for mid-bass then bas freq's. Plus I'm not sure how you are wanting to make them sound better? More output, more bass...

It's also a free-air design. That means the suspension is going to be very tight with additional electrical dampening by increased magnetic strength. They were designed to work outside of a box. BUT, you still have to seal off the rear from the front or you'll end up with wave cancellation. Just seal the area up and add some deadner on the back side of the metal to dampen it. Then just wait a little. The suspension will loosen up over time and start to send a bit different.

Quick Reply: how can the sail panel mid-bass speakers sound better?