Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69' Camaro Convertible, 00' WS6 LS1, 6 Speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69' Camaro Convertible, 00' WS6 LS1, 6 Speed

The project is a non matching numbers 1969 Camaro SS Convertible, original equipment was a 327, power-glide, power top with drum brakes and air conditioning. I am putting an LS1, 6 Speed from a 2000 Trans Am WS6. Just getting started collecting parts. Any suggestion for the best parts, kits etc. would greatly be appreciated. Looking forward to your support and advise.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go to the Hall of Fame sticky, and look at

LS swap into 1967-1969 Camaro/Firebird

and our thread...

Detailed LS swap into a 67 Camaro

Lots of good info for your swap in there.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Resident

Bunch of pics and some info on my page too, http://www.blown.net/camaro68.html.

Biggest single piece of advice I have is to look at a bunch of swaps, and then sit down and think of everything else you want to upgrade while the engine and transmission are out. Rear end, brakes, steering, suspension, etc... and keep in mind things like "if I put those big Wilwood discs on the rear, I'm going to need to put something bigger than a standard disc conversion on the front". If I did mine again, I'd more than likely do an Art Morrison subframe. And I would have gotten the T56 rebuilt before I put it in.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

If I had it to do all over again knowing what I know now, I would have done more fabbing and less buying. I still would pay for computer programming though.

Willih6996, you really are looking at a pretty easy, smooth swap. The first gens are really pretty well documented, and there are not a lot of difficulties in getting the LS1/T56 in. I do highly reccomend you strip the front end on the car, and rebuild or upgrade your suspension and brakes. This is also a great time to inspect and repair you wire harness in the car, and to pull everything off the firewall for a good cleaning and paint. You would be amazed how much crap there is in the cavity for your heater box, as well as in the cowl. I also highly, highly recomend that you replace all of your body bushings. It is realy easy and inexpensive, and will make a difference. As for installing the LS1, like you will find with most LS1 swaps, the wiring is the most time consuming part. You can fab a tranny mount, or buy one, they are not terribly expensive. You can make or buy engine mount plates. Headers are going to cost a little, make sure you get headers meant for this swap, the steering gear is difficult to clear. Compare the problems Brandon had with the problems Rodder had, with the problems we had, as well as Leon, and you should be pretty prepared. Expect to upgrade your entire fuel system. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: 69' Camaro Convertible, 00' WS6 LS1, 6 Speed