Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck accessories and Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck accessories and Exhaust?

I'm looking at putting some truck acc. on my LS1. I've been told that it will work, but need to know what all I need? I know the water pumps are the same but what else should I take from the Junkyard?

Who's tried to hook up some exhaust to the stock F-body manifolds?
I'm having a hard time finding the exhaust flanges.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Launching!

i think u will need the truck intake also
Old 01-09-2008, 01:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

That is correct, you will have to run a truck intake if you use a truck water pump. Fbody and truck pumps are different, the pulley is longer on the truck, and the water neck is different. You will also need the truck balancer, and vette/Fbody are shorter.

Jack
Old 01-09-2008, 08:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is an alternate approach. http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...take+on+a+6.0l It shows the issue with the truck water pump with an LS6 intake. You can run the truck pump but you have to trim back the outlet to the radiator and use the idler pulley adapter plate from Speartech. I decided to use an Fbody water pump and you can make it fit by spacing out the water pump. I had Speartech make up a pair of spacers, that fit between the pump and block and that brings the pump pulley in-line with the rest of the truck accessories. I never did find any exhaust flanges, but if you can locate a pair of Fbody catalytic converters ( preferably damaged/gutted ones) you can cut off the flange and weld it to your exhaust pipe.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

When i did my camaro, my dumbass sold the cats and opps, there went my flanges. What i did was took a piece of 1/4" steel and bought new gaskets, then just traced them out and smoothed all my edges. Then just welded 2 short pieces of pipe to the new flange i made and i had colletors! worked pretty slick. no pics sorry
Old 01-09-2008, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I used some 3/8" steel and flame cut my flanges. I used a pice of a 12pack carton to make a pattern.In my case I had an extra set of manifolds laying around without studs wich makes it very easy to make a pattern. Hold the material in place and rub with a hard surface like a ball peen hammer. Remember that when you make the pattern to find the center of the big circle.don't cut to the size of the big circle, cut to the size of your pipe on that center. The flange has a taper in it to accept a donut.
First time I've seen a bolt pattern that wasn't symetrical on an exhaust flange.
Bob

Quick Reply: Truck accessories and Exhaust?