Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing chain

im gonna change the timing chain and my book says that i have to take the oil pan off to take the oil pump off to take the timing chain off! is this true? or can i do it with out dropping the oil pan
Old 01-10-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You just have to loosen the bolts and drop it a little bit to but it doesn't have to come all the way off.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Regular

thats what i thought thats still gonna suck though but my chain really needs changed do you have to take the pick up tube all the way out of the engine to be able to do the t chain?
Old 01-10-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Na you just have to loosen the bolts and let it drop about an inch, I just got done doing it tonight. Take the bolt out of the pick up tube and pull it out of the pump, just dont drop the bolt!!!! www.ls1howto.com is great

Last edited by badass99ss; 01-10-2008 at 10:12 PM. Reason: None
Old 01-11-2008, 01:29 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It's not a bad job once you've done it a few times, but the first time it'll be a bit of a pain for you. Check www.ls1howto.com it helps a lot for people who've never done it before.

Some veteran tips for ya. DON'T DROP THE BOLT FROM THE PICKUP TUBE. You will be having nightmares about fishing that bolt out for the rest of your life. Stick a rag down in the front of the pan to catch the bolt in case you drop it. Also make sure to replace the o-ring seal for the oil pump BY PUTTING IT ON THE PICKUP TUBE, NOT ON THE OIL PUMP ITSELF. Just slide it on the tube, and work your pump back on top of it GENTLY.

Also don't forget to throw some kind of lube on everything to prevent a dry start. Assembly lube works, Mystery oil lube or even just pouring some fresh motor oil on the chain & gears when you're done will be fine.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:38 AM
TECH Regular

sounds good ill keep all of this in mind im getting a new pump should i get a new pick up tube or is the old one still good?