Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

help me choose??

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 07:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me choose??

everyday i tell myself something diffrent im goin to do a turbo....yep a turbo.
then i wake up the next day and say no..... procharger, yea thats it a procharger.... then its a maggie, then a vortec, APS, STS...... dammit someone jus put me in the right direction.....what should i do?????
Old 01-13-2008, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

turbo....when u feel the boost kick in youll fall in love. It sounds nasty and is very efficient
Old 01-13-2008, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Not to sound like a jerk, but definetly use the search. What makes you happy is a function of how you use the car.

Examples:
1. Is your car only a DD car? A Maggie would be great for the low end torque, but will be overall limited on it's upper end HP potential.

2. Do you use your car at the dragstrip only? A nasty front mount turbo would be the ticket. HAve great mechanical skills? Front mounts are great for the street.....but are expensive, hard to install, and have a whole pile of custom work needed to make them function well.

3. Just have to have a turbo but don't have $10G lying around? STS is nice save there are quite a few upgrades needed (FMIC) and "bugs" to work out of them (know that from experience) and forget the STS entirely if your car is lowered.

4. Itching to join the supercharger bandwagon? Prochargers are great but also suffer belt slippage, overheating in hot climates (unless you add a second cooling fan), etc, etc. Vortech has it's own pitfalls in installation (nothing like drilling holes in the oil pan....frightening to some DYI mechanics).

I can go on, but you get the point. You'll get a million "opinions", some good from people with excellent knowledge backgrounds, and some of the generic "this is the best--that sucks" answers from pure bench-racers.

My $0.02. Do a LOT of research on all the systems and pick the one you think will best fit the way you use your car. If your leaning for the supercharger, talk to EPP. Excellent source of info. For the STS, TRT in Texas are the resident experts. Front mount - SpeedInc and some of the FI moderators are quite well versed.

Good luck.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that you can't beat a 'NICE' turbo kit but for the easiest most basic choice you can't beat a procharger. Make sure you get the D-1 kit though. I wouldn't even consider the STS, I know what you are going through. What you explained was me this last summer and believe it or not I still do it. You won't be disapointed with a d-1, call up Bob at Epp and be done with it right there. Or research the **** out of a nice turbo kit and pick from the many great choices from our sponsors. Be prepared to do allot more work and spend more money though. Either way in the end you'll be happy. The STS kit would be great if you get the intercooler at minimum and keep it at base design boost pressure or the problems start to arise. Look up all the work it took to modify the STS kit for some serious performance on EPP's website. The thing about FI is you usually don't keep it at low, base boost so keep that in mind. I vote either ATI D-1SC or a nice single kit like OFI has to offer for example. Happy boosting!

Quick Reply: help me choose??