Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Correct way to use a real buffer

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 12:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Correct way to use a real buffer

alright well i am wanting to move on from my baby steps of using a cheap buffer from wal mart, and i am wanting to use my cousin's porter cable orbital buffer... i know these can be dangerous if used in the wrong hands and in the wrong ways, but i just want to know the steps and styles of how to use this, like how to tell the grain of the paint, and what pads to use with the different steps of waxing...
my car is in need of a buffering badly, and i think i may just do it this weekend if i can find the right spot to do my work in...
so if anyone has any write ups or can help, i would appreciate it
thanks
Old 01-15-2008, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

We have stickies for a reason

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/263061-porter-cable-dual-action-polisher-faq.html

Once you have the car prepped (washed/clayed) you're basically gonna have 2 steps.

Compound with orange pad and Menzera Intensive Polish

and

Polishg with white pad and Menzera Final Polish

Then finish off with your favorite wax/sealant
Old 01-15-2008, 01:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so is it a must to clay before buffering? or just a it helps and removes contaminates before shining?
will a thorough wash be alright if there isnt enough time to clay?
Old 01-15-2008, 04:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would never run a buffer over a car that hasn't been clayed....A clay bar takes all the dirt particles and contaminants out of the paint that normal washing doesn't.

You run the risk of taking the little pieces of dirt and rubbing them on the paint and scratching it worse. Run your hand over the paint if its smooth and you cant feel and little bumps then your good to go.

Just my $.02
Old 01-15-2008, 10:52 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by squeals99
alright well i am wanting to move on from my baby steps of using a cheap buffer from wal mart, and i am wanting to use my cousin's porter cable orbital buffer... i know these can be dangerous if used in the wrong hands and in the wrong ways, but i just want to know the steps and styles of how to use this, like how to tell the grain of the paint, and what pads to use with the different steps of waxing...
my car is in need of a buffering badly, and i think i may just do it this weekend if i can find the right spot to do my work in...
so if anyone has any write ups or can help, i would appreciate it
thanks
First read Mike's complete and thorough write-up about the use of the Porter Cable buffer. The only way it can be dangerous is if you drop it on the vehicle. The dual-action performance make it impossible to burn the clear coat.

The only bad questions are those that are not asked until it's too late. Even then helpful advice can be of assistance for recovery.

This buffer is very user friendly and you can learn about its capabilities rather quickly. The best way to start is by turning the machine on and observe how its works on the surface. If you are nervous, start with using a black or blue finishing pad with a non-abrasive liquid wax or sealant product and see how it works. You'll notice that it applies that product in a much thinner and more consistent layer than compared to hand applications. Other pads/product combinations can provide increasingly abrasive treatments for corrective actions. Once you become comfortable with its operation, you'll wonder why you didn't do this sooner.

The different color foam pads are manufactured with various degrees on foam coarseness. These pad surface textures provide a complete range of paint surface treatments from cutting the clear coat to applying liquid sealants or paste wax protection.