Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which heads?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which heads?

I am looking to get some heads that will put down about 450-500 rwhp on a streetable cam... Also decent gas mileage would be nice too... I had been looking at afr205 heads but they dont flow as much as some of the other heads i was looking at. I was also looking at trick flow heads... they flow much better (215). Oh yeah my bore is stock and i am looking for heads that will fit it. My car is a 2002 camaro z28 automatic. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks much!
Old 01-21-2008, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Patrick G put down over 500rwhp with AFR205's and a not so huge cam with a port-matched Fast 90/90 from Tony Mamo (AFR) You must look at more than just the .600 lift.....Patrick chose these heads for their supremacy in the low lift areas which is where 90% of your street driving takes place. Its about choosing heads that flow well throught the lift area AND cutting a custom cam that takes the most advantage of said heads. And of course a Fast 90/90 that is Ported and matched to the heads you choose is the best choice as far as manifolds go.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

I would say go with the AFR 205's.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS7jUnKiE
Patrick G put down over 500rwhp with AFR205's and a not so huge cam with a port-matched Fast 90/90 from Tony Mamo (AFR) You must look at more than just the .600 lift.....Patrick chose these heads for their supremacy in the low lift areas which is where 90% of your street driving takes place. Its about choosing heads that flow well throught the lift area AND cutting a custom cam that takes the most advantage of said heads. And of course a Fast 90/90 that is Ported and matched to the heads you choose is the best choice as far as manifolds go.
Thanks, i have heard great things about afr customer service too... There is no relplacement for that low end tq the afr's will deliver. Also they dont need the roller rockers like the trick flows require for reliability. Not that roller rockers are bad but id just as soon leave my rockers alone and keep the valvetrain lighter. What kind of cam should i go with the afr 205 heads?
Old 01-22-2008, 12:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ETP 215's they flow a little better out of the box. But the Mamofied AFR's (which are the ones Patrick G used), flow better than the ETP's.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by youguessit
Also they dont need the roller rockers like the trick flows require for reliability. Not that roller rockers are bad but id just as soon leave my rockers alone and keep the valvetrain lighter.
Aftermarket rockers doesn't necessarily mean extra valvetrain weight(and its weight over the tip of the valve that matters). Plus for your goal your going to need them to get every last horse. And its a good chance you will need them for the adjustability.