Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Stock LS1 Block to boost or not to boost?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock LS1 Block to boost or not to boost?

I've been consdering buying a iron block to run boost, but my friends at work tell me to use my stock alum. block. I know alum. dissipates heat better, but isn't as strong and its lighter. Iron can take the punishment the boost can dish out. So the question is should I stick with the aluminum block or go iron. Also what are the limitations of the LS1 How much can it take if I properly build it. Any Limitations or drawbacks to Turboing the LS1. Or are there better benefits If I build an Iron block. I'm using my car for Strip, Street, and Road course. maybe drifting. So what is the best bang for my buck for power. I already know what turbo kit I want. Doing a Twin setup. Any thoughts or suggestions? PM if you have any previous experience with this issue. Comment for ideas. thanks
Old 01-23-2008, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

Im guessin you have the money to buy the iron block? If so boost your ls1 and when that goes ka-boom get the iron block
Old 01-24-2008, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Answer this: How much power are you planning on making?
Old 01-24-2008, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

I would say the alum. is good to use in the 600-750 range... But if you ever want to get crazy and crank up the boost to hit that 1K mark I would say iron it up.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Yeah taxes are coming soon and I was either going to buy a bike or start to build My trans am. I was wanting some high numbers around 700-800 if possible, but i know aluminum has it's limitations. But I think I'm going to haft to go with iron, but I would love to build my LS1. making my motor go boom is something i'm not going to do or try. I'm not sure which direction to take. Bore out and resleeve the ls1 or bore out and go with the iron block. It's really tough to make a decision so ideas and info really helps.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I was faced with a similar delema. lol.

I had the money. I had the turbo kit on the T/a.
I also found a 2003 zx-9r for $3900

I could biuld the lt1 for boost.... Or buy the bike...

Bought the bike =D. Car will come next winter. Tow that gets good milage for that decent deal made me go with the bike.

Quick Reply: Stock LS1 Block to boost or not to boost?