Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Unique situation for track tires - need some input

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arrow Unique situation for track tires - need some input

(I've done a lot of reading but can't find anyone with my situation because of the tranny and wheels sizes, so feel free to post up with some input)

The Situation:
I have an 02 Z28 with mild H/C (400/367) and supporting bolt-ons, some suspensions work (Adj PHB, LCAs w/ brackets, Adj Torque Arm), 12-bolt with 4.10s, 3.5" aluminum driveshaft, and the kicker, an MN12 tranny with the much shorter gear ratios (on top of the 4.10s, mind you).

Now, I have a set of stock 17" SS wheels I keep Nittos on for the street, but I now have a set of four crappy 16"x8" rims that I would like to use for the track only with some stickier tires. I'm pretty set on Mickey Thompson ET Streets (non-radial version), but I have quite a few options on sizes.

The Point:
The point of these tires is strictly for traction improvement. I don't believe diameter affecting my gearing should be a concern because of the extra gearing advantage from the tranny - meaning if I go with a 28" tire, for example, it will "hurt" my shorter gearing, but it won't offset the tranny AND rear axle ratios, probably just the benefit from the MN12, so it will still be like running 4.10s at least. Does this sound accurate or should I be more worried about a taller tire affecting my gearing? I shift at 6500 or so (peak hp at 6400) and according to the calculator, I'm good up to 123 even on the 26", so that's not an issue (trapping 116, possibly a little higher).

Also, I don't want to have to modify the wheels or wells in any way. I want to mount the tires on the wheels, the wheels on the car, and be good to go.

The Options:
26" x 10.5" x 16" - Smallest and safest tire in terms of fitting, but least traction
26" x 11.5" x 16" - Will the 11.5" fit on my wheels/car without issues?
27" x 10.5" x 16" - Smallest I can go with the 10.5" (no 28" x 10.5")
27" x 11.5" x 16" - Will it fit on my wheels/car without issues?
28" x 11.5" x 16" - Biggest and best option in terms of traction, but will it fit without any modifications or issues?

Like I said, I've done a lot of searching and talked to some friends, but have been getting mixed responses, so I would just like to hear some more opinions on the gearing and fitting aspects. More info is always a good thing.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the stock offset and BS of the 16" wheels you shouldn't have a problem fitting the 28" tall tires on the car. The only thing you might run into is the fact that they may sit TOO far inward and might rub on your inner fender. A rubber mallet will take care of that though.

I would go with the 28x11.5. You'll get the height you want and they say it will fit on a 8" rim.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DopdBrd
On the stock offset and BS of the 16" wheels you shouldn't have a problem fitting the 28" tall tires on the car. The only thing you might run into is the fact that they may sit TOO far inward and might rub on your inner fender. A rubber mallet will take care of that though.

I would go with the 28x11.5. You'll get the height you want and they say it will fit on a 8" rim.
Thanks for the response. That's the kind of advice I'm looking for.

One question, though: Who is "they"? The tire mfg or other people on this site?
Old 07-04-2008, 06:47 AM
On The Tree

Bump... anyone else have info????
Old 07-04-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really don't have any imput on your 16" wheel idea, but why not swap out for a 17x11" ZR1 rear and just put a 17" slick on it? I had a set of road racing tires on my SS and from a dead stop it would dead hook at the top of the converter at like 2600-2700. Normally I could only get it to stall to around 2200 before turning the tire over, and even rolling into it would cause the tires to go up in smoke. That is with a 275/40 Nitto 555. I would imagine with your combo you could keep the "sleeper" look and hook just as well with a 17" tire. Since you already have the 10 spokes you could probably get away with a 275/40 tire - and you wouldn't be changing anything over your daily driving patterns. a 315/35 (like I had on my car) might rub a little (my car is pretty low) but if you stayed stock sizes with a slick (or radial) you could really do some damage.

The differences between how a 26" tire and 28" tire hook are huge, and I'd be worried about running out of gear on the big end over it fitting. Real life and calculations can be pretty similar, but you could end up going with one tire and really ******* yourself. I believe Hoosier makes the QTP in a 28x10.50. Gotta figure there are a ton of TTT5 cars out there and other 10.5 classes, there's gotta be a tire to suit your needs.

maybe see if you can borrow a set of each from someone you know and take 'em to the track. that'd be the best way to find out
Old 07-06-2008, 01:26 PM
11 Second Club

you dont need a 28" tire on your car!
i have a 16X8 rim off a firebird, i have mt et streets the bias plys 26x10.5x16. at 17psi im dumping them at 5k and they hook great, and they will grow a slight bit. but they launch great
i have 3.90s and in 4th at 6600 with the 26" i can to 130 works out great for the 150 shot i want to do.
you plan on n20? if you do then you will need a bigger tire