Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused with my current exhaust setup.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 01:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Confused with my current exhaust setup.

Here's the current setup now. Stock exhaust manifolds, but the dude that I bought the car from put 2 high flow cats (which 1 is bad) and an 02 simulator with a Flowmaster. My understanding is that a '98 Camaro SS only has 1 cat, 2 02s before the cat (correct me if I'm wrong) and an 02 after the cat.
After doing a search here, read several times that Hooker Headers are legal in Cali as long as it is shorties and have the proper connections and is CARB approved
So here's what I'm looking at: Please tell me other wise if there is something you believe is better. I'll may go with majority of the vote. I want all my 02s hooked back up and the stock setup with after market stuff. You know what I mean.
1. Hooker Headers (Cali legal to pass the visual)
2. High flow cat (if Cali legals are available)
3. Maybe an electronic exhaust cut out ( I know I can get away with that)
4. GMMG cat back http://gmmginc.net/Exhaust/
Am I missing anything here? I'm not too good with this kinda stuff. Kinda drives me crazy
I'm looking for some hp gain, but I know that I'm not going to get much, but want better than stock. There's other mods that I'll be doing later. Just wanna fix this minor problem.
But, I'm looking for good looks from the rear and a deep, throaty tone, too. I want people to know that there's a muscle car coming. I think that I sound kinda stupid here but that is what these forums are for, right.....Help. Well, thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope that you can help a fellow member out. Really sorry if something similar has been asked before. Have a good one.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yes, you are missing a lot

all LS1's have 2 cats and 4 O2's.....1 before each cat, 1 after each cat. chances are hi-flow cats wont pass a sniffer check..........
Old 01-25-2008, 09:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all v8 fbodies from 96-02 came with 2 cats.

if hooker makes a shortie header, it should be legal in cali. check for a CARB number. i thought aftermarket cats were still legal...

shorties would pick up 5-10hp over stock...particularly the early ls1 manifold design (later years had better designs).

deep and throaty...GMMG. pricey...but worth it.

try www.ls1sounds.com for some comparisons
Old 01-25-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The shorty headers and the high-flow cats must have a CARB EO number... otherwise the smog tech will fail you.