Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbed LQ4 mated to D&D Viper tranny in 72

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carbed LQ4 mated to D&D Viper tranny in 72

Hey guys I have searched around a little bit and am getting ready to get the pieces to start this combo just wanted to clarify a few things i couldnt quite understand fully. I have a 2nd gen camaro running the d&d viper t56 tranny directly to my sbchttp://www.ddperformance.com/chevyT-56.htm. I am getting the gmpp intake,msd ignition,and going to add a walbro 255 inline to my existing stock fuel line(this should work since i am going to be running a carb right? just want the extra fuel flow during wot)
1)So I need to know if the tranny lq4 will bolt up to the tranny and if so is there any mods needed?
2)which header/mount kit to use without clearance issues?
3)Do i need to change the pulley setup and oil pan?(I also have the vintage air gen 2 system if that matters)
Thanks in advance
Old 01-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Teching In

here is an actual diagram of the tranny's
http://www.ddperformance.com/t56dia.jpg
Old 01-27-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a LQ4 mounted to a stock Viper trans. I used a McLeod SFI bellhousing and kit. It comes with bellhosing, bushing and a 1/2" spacer that goes between the bellhousing and trans. (the input shaft on a Viper is 1/2" longer than the other T56's)

Hope this helps.

Ron
Old 01-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Teching In

So i guess im going to need a bell housing swap? any info on the mounts,headers,pulleys,and oil pan. is there anything else im overlooking
Old 01-28-2008, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

Keep what you have and get the appropriate spacer for using any other non-LSx GM transmission behind a LSx. Using a modular bellhousing kit like the aforementioned would work, but an added expense considering you already have a bellhousing and what-not.

In my Nova, I'll be using the Lakewood bellhousing designed to mate a GM 4-speed (or TKO, in my case) to the LSx with proper spacing. Since the D&D transmission you have is designed to mate to a 4-speed bellhousing, you could use this bellhousing an eliminate any spacers.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For my Viper T56 I bought, It had been rebuilt and had a F-Body input shaft.. but they didn't replace the Trans to Bellhousing adapter, So I still had the Viper adapter... It did bolt right up to a GM Bellhousing no problem, but the Throwout Bearing was of a different size and bolt pattern, clocked about 90 deg differents. I modified a GM one by redrilling and enforcing the holes to match up with the correct clocking of the bolt pattern of the Viper plate. I would not recommend this if you can get the correct plate, but If you got it from D&D, for a GM engine, i would expect it has the correct adapter plate and inputshaft, and that it should bolt up to a F-Body bellhousing and engine.

there are 3 adapter, one for GM, Ford and Mopar.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TT402LS1
I have a LQ4 mounted to a stock Viper trans. I used a McLeod SFI bellhousing and kit. It comes with bellhosing, bushing and a 1/2" spacer that goes between the bellhousing and trans. (the input shaft on a Viper is 1/2" longer than the other T56's)

Hope this helps.

Ron
do you have the part number
for this bellhousing

Quick Reply: Carbed LQ4 mated to D&D Viper tranny in 72