Info on the TSP MS4.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 02:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool Info on the TSP MS4.

I am buying a Camaro Z/28 with a M6 and wanted to see what I needed to do to the car for it to hold a MS4 (Magic Stick V.4 239/242, .649"/.609" Camshaft). And how long the engine would last with a cam of that size. I know that I would have to get the PRC dual springs and I'm not really worried about that part. I just wanted to see what other things HAD to be done to run it. And I had a few questions...

Does the idle have to be all the way up at 1000rpm? Can you get it tuned for stock idle 400-700rpm?

Does the cam last for a good while?

How fast am I going to want heads?

Do I need headers before I run this size cam?

Do I really want a cam that has a power curve that doesn't start till 2300rpm? And so on...

Thanks guys I really appreciate all the info that you could shed on this idea of mine.

P.J.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:55 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running the MS4 on my current setup. Before jumping into a cam of this size you mught want to think about what you ultimatly want to do with the car. If this is your daily driver you might want to think about if you really want a cam of this size. Don't get me wrong you can daily drive the MS4, but to get the most out of it you are going to have to have the supporting mods (heads, headers, intake, etc). As far as the idle I have heard of some of the guys with this cam running the idle as low as 850, I personaly wouldn't go any lower than that. I have mine at 1050. You don't have to worry about the cam wearing out any more than the cam already in the car wearing out. I wouldn't say that you have to have headers before you run this cam but it would help. Give Texas Speed a call, they have some of the best customer service and will point you in the right direction. One more thing to consider is you will probably have to flycut the pistons to stay within a safe piston to valve clearance. Here is a short vid of my car. Keep in mind it is a cold start and takes a minute to smooth out. PM me if you have any more questions.
http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=MVI_0131.flv
Old 01-28-2008, 07:57 AM
On The Tree

I reccomend that you read the "heads and cam" sticky in the "GEN III INTERNAL" forum. There is alot of good information there about how to choose the right cam for you. Like playtoy stated, you really need to consider what you are planning to with the car in the future: ex. strip car, daily driver, etc.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

Also if you need any help with the install let me know. I'm new to the DFW area and I'm itchin to get my hand dirty.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:59 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Get your bolt-ons first. Running an MS4 without headers isn't worth doing the cam swap. You have more to gain by going to headers without a cam than doing a cam that agressive without headers. Headers will be great without the cam, but not the other way around. Not all mods have a particular order to how you should do them, but in this situation there is a better order.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 01-28-2008, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking I'm going to do a couple things first. And I might just go with the MS3 because this is my daily driver for at least the next couple years... Getting Married soon...

Headers
off road Y-pipe
SLP loudmouth
LS6 intake with pp tb
LS2 heads from a 02 z06 to go with cam.
LS6 oil pump
And some others that I can't remember right now.

But thanks and keep them coming.
P.J.