Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Leaking trans fluid, but only when on an incline...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leaking trans fluid, but only when on an incline...

Recently had an rps clutch/flywheel/pressure plate in and new synchros and bearings put in by a local shop. The night I brought it home, there was a large 6" puddle of tranny fluid on my driveway. I wiped everything down underneath, which was localized around the tranny crossmember. The drain plug was in tight, didn't appear to be coming out from there.

The next day I parked on level ground, no leaks at all. A few days go by earlier this week, and yesterday I park in the driveway again, theres a small drip on the ground. But once again, when on level ground, nothing comes out.

Parked the car again today in driveway after sitting for about 3 hrs, there was a drip the size of a dime on the ground.

It appeared to be coming out of the seam where the two halves of the tranny meet. Is this possible? I reached towards the tailshaft area where the driveshaft connects, but it felt dry.

I also checked the shifter from the top and it looked fine. Any ideas? Is this something I can take care of myself? I dont really want to go back to the shop due to some other issues with their customer service.

**edit** the shop advised they put in 4 quarts of fluid. They suggested it may just be residual fluid.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:40 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, if they didn't get it sealed up where the tailshaft bolts on, it could leak. I've seen it happen...
Old 01-31-2008, 11:44 PM
wrencher

Sounds like it needs to be resealed. I wouldn't run it low on fluid as well, so get it fixed ASAP.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:12 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

useually I see it at the trans seal where the driveshafte meets.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Took some shots to show what is going. Tailshaft area was dry. It almost seems now like the drain plug may not have thread sealer on it, which could be letting it leak. What puzzles me the most now is why there is oil coming off of one of the tranny bolts, unless that is clutch fluid. Smelled like mobil 1 to me.

Quick Reply: Leaking trans fluid, but only when on an incline...