Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evap error codes and Emission Testing

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Evap error codes and Emission Testing

OK, I'm getting an EVAP error codes p0443, p0440 (or something like that). After I feset them with Autotap, they come back after few hundred miles. I haven't been able to pinpoint the problem so I gave up. Dealer says something that because of my cam the vacuum at idle is low and it thinks that it has a leak .... blah, blah. I don't really care that they're there since they don't affect the car performance. But, it's time for emission test where they plug into the computer to check for codes. I can clear them out right before going there and I know they wont come up for couple days. Does Autotap completely clear them out or are they stored somewhere else so the scan tool that is used at the emission station detects them? Any help?
Old 07-10-2003, 01:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Evap error codes and Emission Testing

DO NOT reset right before you test...you will get an error that the test did not run to completion and there isn't enough info in the computer. Go into LS1edit and turn the test associated with the codes off. (don't use the "fail does not set SES light" option...you'll still fail the PCM scan)

I just went through this about a month ago...with different codes.

Let me know how it goes.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good point. I don't have access to LS1EDIT however. I don't want to buy it just to do that either. I don't think that this code is set right away. What if I drive for a little and let the tests run? How would I know if the test are complete? Would ATAP tell me that?
Old 07-10-2003, 06:00 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since you don't have LS1edit, you could try raising up the idle speed a little with the idle stop screw. That should get the cam up into a smoother region and provide better vacuum. Just keep the idle speed below 1200 rpm or they will fail you for that.