Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Electrical Problem

Are there any shops in the Houston/Katy area that do really good electrical work? I am tired of messing with this excitor wire. Eversince I broke it taking out the alternator I've had problems. I've tried all kinds of connections and I cannot get the surge in my electrical system to go away. Every now and then I'll get it just right and it won't surge for a couple of days and then it starts up again. My volts are jumping between 13 and 16 while the car is running and all of the headlights and park lights are flashing. I would like to take it to someone who has a lot of experience with the electrical systems on these LS1's.

Please advise if you know of any shops with the know how to fix this.

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 02-05-2008, 08:00 AM
Staging Lane

Nobody has any suggestions before I call the dealership. I really don't want to over pay the dealership...
Old 02-05-2008, 09:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

If you changed the connection and it's surging then the connection is fine. The alternator is a POS the regulator is bad internally. If the connection was the problem it would not charge at all or would charge intermittently
Old 02-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

I had hoped that was the problem but when I broke it is when I had the alternator rebuilt and I've taken it out and had it tested by 3 different shops/stores since the surging began and everybody has said it tested good.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

doesnt mean that the VR is in tip top shape bro.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

For future reference, I had changed the alternator finally and everything works perfect now. Sucks after months of driving the car with flickering lights to find out that was what I thought from the beginning. I think the guys that rebuilt my old one just told screwed it up. Anyway, new alternator FTW.