Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Need Help... local locker/rear-end expertise...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Help... local locker/rear-end expertise...

Good evening all,

Seeing as how I have only met a handful of the local peeps... I was wondering if anyone could recommend someone (an individual or a shop) what would be able to check out the Ford 9" in my WS6? Meaning, visual inspection, check gear mesh, clearances, etc...

I have a 35 spline Detroit Locker in a Moser/Ford 9" with 4.11 gears and Moser axles. I have a bid of gear whine, but not a ton. I get the Locker-racheting and clunking that people talk about, and there does seem to be a great deal of "slop" in the rear when compared to say a Torsen diff.

-I have read good and bad about all of these. I have read that the whine is normal with a 9" rear end and the noise is natural in out cars because the torque arm transmits the noise to the cabin. I have also read exactly the contrary.

-I have read that the racheting and clunking is what true lockers do, and I have read that some people hardly ever get that behavior.

-Lastly, I have read that perceived slop is due to the fact that the locker can take over an 1/8, an dup to a 1/4 of one side to lock the mechanism, and that having 4.11's magnify this a great deal.

-Lastly I have read that a 35 spline locker is the noisiest bitch of them all, but "smaller" ones are nowhere as violent?

Basically, I need some expertise that can give me the straight scoop, and maybe if I pull the 3rd member, someone can check out my setup and give it the once over. I am going to start spraying the **** out of the engine in March at the track and I wanna make sure everything is good 2 go.

Thanks everyone in advance...

Have a great week.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:33 AM
10 Second Club

I have personally used these guys and they are the best!

Northwest Differential
11914-124th Av NE
Kirkland, WA 98034 USA
Phone: 425-827-2868 or 800-866-2868
Fax: 425-820-2939
Old 02-05-2008, 02:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+2 Northwest Diff
Old 02-05-2008, 06:25 AM
On The Tree

1) all aftermarket gears will make noise in a f-body and since you cannot get a new oem set of 9" gears yes you will most likely have whine.
2) slop in the locker is normal, its not a torsen and it won't be the same I would live with it or put a spool or clutch type in it.
3) The bigger the rearend they are for the more noisey they get.

4) Dan @ NW Diff is a great guy who does great work but I don't think you need to see him yet, everything you describe is completely normal.

5) Pill it til' you kill it!
Old 02-05-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a locker in my '01 Z28... only mine was a 12 bolt instead of a 9", but it was 4.10 gears and all that. What you describe here is normal for a locker... there's going to be some "play" as oppposed to a Eaton/Torsen type diff, and you are going to get that clunking sound once in a while. Mine would do it on a slow turn to the left mostly, wouldn't do it most other situations.

Right now, I have to agree with what has been said, it sounds like you have normal operation for a locker. I will tell you this... it's a strong SOB in locker form, so to me it was worth the noise to not have to spend another $1500 on a complete rebuild after shredding another Eaton and 4.10 gear combo at the track.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will take the advice indeed... basically drive it like it's your sister's friend. Hard, fast and spray it liberally.

Two other points I have picked up lately...

-Several racers have said that they run 85w140 gear oil and it helps to quiet the smaller noises.

-Lastly, seeing as how the car has never been raced yet, only dynoed and road driven for about 4500 miles, the chances something is broken are very slim because of how strong the lockers are.

Thanks and keep the advice or experiences with lockers coming, please!

Quick Reply: Need Help... local locker/rear-end expertise...