Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I Need Help Taking These Ugly Stripes Off My Car!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Need Help Taking These Ugly Stripes Off My Car!!!!!

I have a pewter z with black stripes down it and I am desperately trying to get rid of the stripes so I can order a hood and get that and my new ss spoiler painted before summer. These ugly stripes I have seems to be like big stickers or big pieces of electrical tape really. But you catch my drift they are stuck on there with some type of adhesive. My question is should I use a heat gun or hair dryer because the heat gun would bubble the paint? Also they wont come off by just trying to pull them off. The just crack up and it would take years. Any help please!
Old 02-05-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

pics?
Old 02-05-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

yea, got any pics so we can see what your working with? Also, where are you located? If its warm enough out and you have a hair dryer, there should be no problems at all. Subscribing
Old 02-05-2008, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

I had the same problem. Your best bet is to use the heat gun and try and peel off as much as you can. This may sound crazy to you but this is the way i do it to take of vinyl stickers witht the heat gun. As you are heating it up you use your other hand and leave it around the area you are heating up its kind of hard to explain but you can use it as a temp gauge in other words to feel about how hot that area is. Dont leave it there too long or you will get burned, this is the way i heat up the area to the point that the addhesive is more forgiving. Then start peeling on the area where it is the hotest. After that i would use laquer thinner to take off glue residue. You have to be careful with the laquer because it makes your clear soft and makes it easy to scratch. Rubbing alcohol is easier to use but will take longer to take the resudue off.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Launching!

hair drier or heat gun should do the trick, just heat it enough that the decal is warm.If that dont work get some aircraft decal remover from local parts store.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

goo-gone is good for getting excess adhesive off aswell, after your all done polish it and wax everything you dont plan on replacing
Old 02-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

Default thanks

thanks i will go try the hair dryer. any other help is greatly appreciated.