Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

i think my clutch is goin out,

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default i think my clutch is goin out,

ok so yesterday im crusing around town n im in 4th gear doin about 1.5k, 2k rpm, when i stomp on the gas at that low, the clutch grabbs for like a sec., but then just revs real high. it does it when the car is that low rpm in 5th n 6th. i ran a buddy of mine today thinking that i might have a problem with the clutch but everything seemed fine. the clutch was gabbing like a ****! no slippage issues at all. i have the ram HD clutch. can the clutch be goin out? what can it be? any info is greatly appericated, thanks. also my clutch pedal is friggen stiff, my bud has the ls7 clutch in it like soft as can be i almost put the pedal through the floor board. y is my clutch pedal so stiff.

Last edited by j's02ws6; 02-05-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by j's02ws6
ok so yesterday im crusing around town n im in 4th gear doin about 1.5k, 2k rpm, when i stomp on the gas at that low, the clutch grabbs for like a sec., but then just revs real high. it does it when the car is that low rpm in 5th n 6th. i ran a buddy of mine today thinking that i might have a problem with the clutch but everything seemed fine. the clutch was gabbing like a ****! no slippage issues at all. i have the ram HD clutch. can the clutch be goin out? what can it be? any info is greatly appericated, thanks. also my clutch pedal is friggen stiff, my bud has the ls7 clutch in it like soft as can be i almost put the pedal through the floor board. y is my clutch pedal so stiff.
Clutches can act in different ways, one my buddy had was in 5tha dn 6th on the free way, if the car is revving lets say 2k @ 70 and he rolls the throttle in 6th it would slip.

BUT the car from a dead stop would lay the hammer down fine, but then there are the guys who have slipping issues in any gear and any mph. It all varies.

My clutch was slipping, but you couldnt tell. Ton of dead pedal issues in 2nd gear now my car spins tires where as a stock LS6 @ 40k couldnt under the same conditions and power
Old 02-05-2008, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

sounds like a slave to me but i could be wrong
Old 02-06-2008, 09:03 AM
FormerVendor

Sounds hydraulic to me. Have you noticed any fluid dripping from the transmission? Either way you can start by checking the hydraulic fluid in the reservoir...is it discolored/dark? If so then you should flush and refill with new fluid. Are your hydraulic lines wrapped with a heat resistant material? If not then that is another needed modification as these cars are known for boiling fluid in the lines. Check the fluid and let us know what you find. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2008, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sonds like your clutch is shot to me. I had that experience with my Spec Stage 3 and my brother had it with his Spec 3 and 3+. It would slip (rev high without catching) in high gears at low RPMs where the car really needs to pull the weight, but at first it would only do it occasionally while still holding lower gear high RPM pulls fine.

It eventually gets worse and worse, doing it more and more in lower and lower gears, then it gets hard to realistically drive. Mine most likely happened because of a recently discovered disengagement issue that I'm working on fixing, but my brother's car had no issues; the clutches just went after so many thousand miles.

I would check the stuff the other guys mentioned, but I would plan on replacing it, because I'm pretty sure that's what you'll end up having to do.