Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tranny Question???

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 11:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Question???

Ok I just bought this car (01 Z28) and new it had tranny issues. I have now driven the car for about 1000 miles and now know the syptoms. So far the problem seems to be that it is popping out of third, and grinding when you try to put it in fourth and acts like it isn't going to go in to 4th So I just bypass fourth and go straight to 5th. Now sometimes it will slip my mind and it will go directly into 4th no problems as long as your coming from 3rd. If you try to come to 4th from 5th its a no go. There are no problems in any other gears just 3rd and 4th. What fo you think could be causing this?? Shift fork, slider keys...? I myself am hoping for a shift fork!! Much easier to fix...
Old 02-06-2008, 06:58 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If its popping out of gear its a internal issue. I'd pull it and ship it to sixspeedsinc.com

Then you can get it beefed up too. Most times previous drivers who do not know how to drive a manually shifted trans is the caulperate.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:53 AM
Banned

Its pretty common to experience those issues . You will need a freshen up along with the updated 3/4 fork . After that you should be on your way again .
Old 02-06-2008, 10:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by thesource
Its pretty common to experience those issues . You will need a freshen up along with the updated 3/4 fork . After that you should be on your way again .
Thats kind of what I was thinking. I plan on doing the build my self. I have built many manual tranny'e but this will be my first T-56
Old 02-07-2008, 07:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, it will definitely need a rebuild. There are quite a few places that sell beefed up parts, so although they cost more, don't bother wasting your time or money with OEM or OEM style internals; just go for the good stuff so you don't have to do this again sometime soon.