Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Derale heat sink

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Derale heat sink

I'm not sure which forum is best for this, but I thought some of you might have installed this with your conversion.

I'm installing a Derale heat sink as a power steering cooler. It has 3/8 NPT openings and I bought AN adapter fittings, but they don't fit. A tech told me all the manufacturers use different thread lenghts and that's the problem. He didn't know which brand would work either and just told me I'd have to try different brands until it fits I have Russel fittings and they don't work, anybody know the brand that fits?

I think my last option is to use a barb fitting on the cooler (from Derale) and keep the AN fittings on the rest. The cooler is hidden anyway.

Last edited by a10beav; 02-09-2008 at 02:27 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

if its 3/8 pipe, the fittings should work, as long as their AN to 3/8 pipe-sometimes if the fittings are alumn, and so is the piece they are going in, they are a little tuff-are the fittings screwing in, but to far before getting tight? in a case like that, i have used jb weld to help them seal
Old 02-09-2008, 02:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

The heat sink is aluminum and so are the fittings. I can turn it once by hand and then it's real tough, I started turning it with a wrench and it took too much effort, so I backed it out. The threads on the AN fitting are ruined and the heat sink has some damage as well. The two threads just don't mesh right.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:56 AM
DCx
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine were the same way on my edelbrock fuel pump. use teflon tape.... problem solved. i only got 2 good turns on mine but they dont leak. aluminum pipe fittings are hella tight.

if it wasnt pipe it might have been an flare. if it is an flare then you need o ring fittings. most quality pumps and things like aeromotive use an flare, not pipe.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember a lot of the newer GM stuff is metric now. Could that be the issue?

Pat
Old 02-10-2008, 04:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm using aftermarket parts. I was using teflon tape too, that will help stop leaks but I want more than 2 to 3 turns with the pressure of the steering pump.

Quick Reply: Derale heat sink