Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Pros I need some help I screwed up

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 Pros I need some help I screwed up

Fighting off the flu and got the big dumb idea to check my gears in the t56 on the c5 while changing out the diff. Took the front trans cover off and now I'm royally f*c*ed.

Nothing I do seems to work trying to reinstall the cover plate. The shaft will spin with the cover off but as soon as I start torquing those bolts on the cover she locks completely up. The shaft will not spin at all. It will also not go into gear nor will the rod move either. I wish I could beat myslef up but just cant quite do it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Is this mark on the inside of the shaft important?

[IMG][/IMG]

And there is an arrow on the top gear, is this important? Looks like this <

[IMG][/IMG]

Does the trany need to be in a vertial position to reinstall the plate and shaft or is it fine in the current horizontal position?

Am I correct in thinking the shaft should spin with the cover torqued down right? Becasue I think I remember it turning before I took the cover off.

Does the reverse lock out have anything to do with this? I thought I remembered reading somewhere to put 12 volts to it? But this wouldnt keep the shaft from spinning though would it after the cover is bolted down?

The cover itself does not quite sit right or even too. I have to bolt it down to get a good seal.

I am completely stumped, and

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been at this for three hours.

Ignore the sealant, I was pissed. I'll clean that up tomorrow when I calm down.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2008, 10:13 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest putting the transmission with the tailshaft housing facing down. Input need to be up. Make sure the shift rails are lined up correctly and the countershaft and input shaft aren't bound up. Looks like the countershaft isn't lining up based on the pics.

The hardest thing is putting it back together with the front plate off. We did Taners at the track and if you can get the shift rails lined up, countershaft correctly lined you can do it. I would suggest sitting it up if you can. If not work the shift rails and you should be able to get it back together.

Amber
Old 02-10-2008, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Six Speeds Inc.
Looks like the countershaft isn't lining up based on the pics.

Amber
Yep that is the problem, a the cover is botled on it misalings the gear. Duh. Learning as I go.

Big thanks to Amber and the other poster too for replying. I'll post back the results if I get it fixed. Six sudafed and long hours dont mix well.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Teching In

Now that looks better.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

All buttoned up and back together. What a major PITA.

Thanks again