Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New block or re-line?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 06:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New block or re-line?

Hi guys, the grim reality is my 383 stroker is using oil, i've ditched the breather gubbins which has helped, but when i'm giving it the berries it is using. It probably could get by with a hone and re-ring but while i'm there i'm thinking upgrade from my Ls1 block.

What about some big sleeves and pistons, what can you go to and what are the costs? I would have to get the machining done over here in Blighty, is this option reliable?

Also SDC are doing LS2 blocks i see for $995, so that and some pistons could be a good value option? I see that they are also doing LS3 blocks at $1395 but that means i have to buy engine covers and stuff which makes things a bit more hassle.

Shes a road car and only weighs in at 2600lbs, so i dont want an iron block and i dont want to nitrous or turbo it. Cheers.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would go for an LS2 block long before I'd shell out the money for sleeves and to have an LS1 block bored out and all that machine work done. Throw in a 4" crank and you'll have a reliable 402. As far as I know, the LS1 to LS2 conversion is all plug and play, they make a harness for the knock sensors and the cam sensor. All your LS1 covers and accessories will swap right over.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So i can swap it ALL over? I dont run ANY sensors only a crank sensor that runs of the front crank pulley, and the throttle body obviously. So my 4" crank and my custom grind cam, which i have not even fitted yet can all go in? Thanks.