LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

brake bleeding question

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake bleeding question

So i had to do a ASR Relocation Kit on my car cause the ASR was in the way of the blower.. And now i need to bleed the brakes again but i have heard that you need to have dealer bleed em with a special tool.. Is that right? or can i just bleed em? And if so how i do it correctly?
Old 02-19-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can do it. have someone inside the car pump the brakes three times and keep firm pressure on the pedal on the third pump. Then you open the bleeder screw while he pushes the pedal to the floor. close the screw right when the pedal hits the floor and have him lift off the pedal and have him pump the brakes 3 times again. open screw while the pedal goes to the floor. repeat unitl you see clean fluid come out. and keep an eye on the fluid level in the master cylinder

start with the rear brakes and work forward
Old 02-20-2008, 04:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adding to the post above.
You want to put a hose (clear hose) on the bleeder and have the other end in a clear bottle with enough NEW brake fluid. During the procedure of pumping the brakes, make sure no more air is in the line. And since the tube will be in new fluid, it can't suck up air once the pedal is let go. Start in the rear first.

Oh and the "special tool" the dealer uses is just an automatic suction device that uses compressed air. You only need one person to do this unlike this procedure which takes two.

Quick Reply: brake bleeding question