Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Machine shop costs

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 01:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Machine shop costs

Just curious if I took a machine shop a set of pistons/rods/bearings a good block and crank what could I expect to pay at a machine shop for assembly? This would be a first. I am wanting to build a stout shortblock for upcoming plans with the car...but I hear horror storries about shortblocks from different companys. So I am wanting to buy all the parts and take it to a reputable local shop. I am trying to figure out what I could expect to pay a machine shop? Anyone? I know this question could be answered by calling a machine shop but I am lazy LOL
Old 02-24-2008, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought my shortblock from a shop there in kansas. they were a sponser here a year or 2 ago but the motor runs great. olathe kansas was their location.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am currently building a forged shortblock and here's what I've paid so far: $350 for bore/hone to 3.905", cleaned/magnafluxed block, new cam bearings and polished/mic'd crank. It's usually around $10 give or take to press the pins on the rods per piston so $80. I will be assembling myself, but I was quoted $300 to assemble shortblock, check clearances and degree in the cam. Lastly, balancing was $200. So, in closing, machine work alone will probably run you in the neighborhood of $1000 if done right, not counting any hard parts. Depending on what shape your main bores are in you might want to have them line bored as well... which I would imagine would be around another $100.

That's been my experience, hope it helps!

Quick Reply: Machine shop costs