Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Push Rod and Rocker Arm Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 07:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Push Rod and Rocker Arm Problem

Just installed TFS 215's Vindicator cam, LS7 lifters, 7.500 TFS push rods, Yella Terra Ultra Lites with number one piston at TDC and rocker arms mounted to heads, push rods do not make contact with rocker arms and the rocker arm bolts are bottomed out also. Oil has been drained out of car. Do the lifters need priming before adjusting rocker arms? If so, what do I need to to do to prime them? Thanks George
Old 02-24-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Installing Yella Terra's is a two step process. First step is to check the wipe pattern on the valve stem. Here is a link to how I did mine: Link

Once you have the wipe pattern correct, use an adjustable pushrod and measure your required pushrod length. The pushrod should be the last part you order when you assemble the motor, after setting the wipe and taking a measurement. I never but pushrods until the motor is together and I can get an accurate measurement of the final assembly.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Priming ain't gonna do it.

Get an adjustable pushrod length checker.

They are cheap.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Priming the lifters is recommended, all you have to do is drown them in oil and use a pushrod to push in the lifter plunger a few times to get the lifter to fill with oil. Then install them. Your pushrod length is not the issue here.

The only other reason i could think of for no contact is that you forgot to install the base strip that goes under the rocker arms.