Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with heads what is best?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with heads what is best?

Need some help deciding what to do with my heads. I have been reading a lot on the subject, but am still a bit confused. I have been doing research on the internet, read a lot of threads in her, and even bought the performance book on LS1.

My budget is about 5000 and I had following in mind:
Intake: FAST 90/90 or LS6. not sure yet
Heads ?
LT ?
Custom exhaust. (Not part of budget)

I have an SPL cold air kit, and the car is of Corse going to be chipped afterwards.

Of Corse I want as much power as possible, but don’t want it all in the upper rpm, since it is a DD.

I Have a 98 Camaro with the early LS1 it has 42.000 miles on the clock.
My question is mainly regarding the head. I know a really good porter where I live, but I’m confused on what to do of the following:

1. Port the original LS1 head, Despite that fact that I have read the LS6 has better flow and chamber?

2. By a used LS6 head, and have that ported.

3. By a new CNC ported head, form SPL or another manufactory, If that is the case WHICH ONE?

4. By an aftermarket ported head, and have my porter work a bit of extra magic on it? (Don’t think it is a good idea, since the CNC heads probably already are pretty good, or what?)

PS. I have seen some really good package solutions form SLP, AFR and Trickflow, ?

Finally do you have an idea on what to expect, and if you have any other suggestions pleas let me know.

Thak you
Old 02-25-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the best heads on the market right now are the AFR and TRICKFLOW heads!!
but also good performing budget heads are patriot performance and TSP PRC heads!!