Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

reverse pops out of gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reverse pops out of gear

I have a t-56 tranny and for some reason it pop out of reverse, possibly due to me unhooking the cags solenoid. i hooked it back up and reset the computer and it still pops it out of reverse when i let up off the clutch. Anyone have any idea what it could be?
Old 02-26-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

probably syncros. Reverse gear in stock form has a tendency not to be perfectly aligned. What happens is full engagement is actually partial engagement and once worn enough you will have issue with it not getting into gear sometimes or popping out.

The good news is that reverse is symmetrical in which if the gear is messed a bit, you can flip it and have a "new" reverse. Also can upgrade the rest of the transmission at the same time.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

thats what i was afraid of....lol wut sucks is yesterday i put in all new hydros and ls7 set up...and rehooked my cags back up hoping it would fix it. but i didnt have any metal shavings in the fluid.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try bleeding the the hydraulics, if there's air in the system, reverse and 1st gear are the ones most likely to have a tough time to get into gear from a dragging clutch. You may notice that if you double clutch it, ie press, then release then press down again, reverse may go in better.

I lived with it for a good 6 months until my rebuild. Was a pain because I had to reverse out of the garage in the mornings. Also, if you have a stock shifter with stock stick with rubber isolator, getting into reverse is even tougher because what feels like is in is not. A short stick will let you feel out better if your are in gear, or better yet a better shifter.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

i have the hust shifter with a cut down 5.0 stck....im pretty sure i got all the air out. i used a mity vac. it started after i unhooked my cags. im gonna try a new solenoid for reverse lockout from a spare one at my friends shop.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:28 PM
Banned

Its probably got busted fork inserts and you are not getting it all the way into gear to begin with . Once you let off on the clutch , its only half way in and it pops out on you .
Old 02-27-2008, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

Syncro

Quick Reply: reverse pops out of gear