Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

NJ inspection

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default NJ inspection

Has anyone had luck passing with true duals in NJ? I have no cats, but am not against putting them on if I can pass state inspection. The tint, I can worry about putting that back on later if I have to rip it off. They are dumped, and would run 'em out the back if I had to. Any input is welcome. Thanks.

-J

FWIW, no SES light, no codes. I realize OBD2 is just a plug in, so going by that logic, tint should be the only thing I'd imagine I would fail for. But NJ has an odd way of doing things at these places and finding every thing they can to fail you for.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure that you pass if you have cats! All they do is put a mirror underneath to see if you have cats and since you are ODB2 they don't stick the hose into your tailpipe. On another note they failed my Vette on Monday because the E-Brake has to be all the way up to hold the car
Old 02-27-2008, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
I'm sure that you pass if you have cats! All they do is put a mirror underneath to see if you have cats and since you are ODB2 they don't stick the hose into your tailpipe. On another note they failed my Vette on Monday because the E-Brake has to be all the way up to hold the car
I'm sorry but that is exactly the type of oddball **** I hear people failing for all the time. It's good they don't do the sniffer in the tailpipe because there isn't one coming out the back Well that's not too bad, I'll grab some magnaflow metallicore or whatever the hell they are called and have a shop slap 'em in. Thanks.

-J
Old 02-28-2008, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

i would just swap exhaust with someone for a few days or throw the stock crap on. Itll take you a little bit of time, but why worry.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why don't u go to a private garage and do it?
Old 03-02-2008, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go to a private garage. if you go to the state, they will fail you with the dumps even if you have cats. your exhaust has to be run out past the last door in the vehicle and the trunk door is considered a door. a private shop may overlook this.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Yea I'm trying to find a local private place that will overlook pretty much... everything. If it's not the exhaust they are worried about, it's the tint. If not the tint, the loud exhaust. Anyone know of any friendly shops? PM me if you do. If not I'll probably end up ripping off the tint and going from there.

PingKing, that's a good idea, but sadly I don't know anyone with stock exhaust. I have my stock manifolds and y-pipe, but no cats. Should've had the foresight to realize this when I sold them

-J