Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What kind of posi for a 9inch

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What kind of posi for a 9inch

im looking to use my car for several things, i only drive it on weekends or at the track. I want to be able to drag race it as well as autocross. i plan on making 450-500 on motor and 150 shot for the 1/4. What kind should i go for? Locker, trutrack,spool?
Old 02-29-2008, 03:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trutrac is the way to go man. Especially since you are wanting to do some autocross.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wont have an issue with it popping one tire?
Old 02-29-2008, 04:51 PM
12 Second Club

The Trutrac is a full posi unit. It'll act just like stock. Which is what you want for cornering.

The spool will only allow both tires to turn the same speed all the time. Which will cause you to have to make wider turns & drag your inside tire around corners. This is great for drag racing, not good at all for autocross though.

The locker is the one that pops when turning. You won't break it in a straight line, but your not gonna be happy attempting autocross with one in thats for sure. The clunking sound it the locker locking/unlocking during turns.

Both the locker & spool are mainly a good choice for a drag racing set-up. Some guys drive them on the street, but not autocross.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep. Exactly what Mike said... I had a spool, and now a locker is being put in
Old 03-01-2008, 04:15 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
The Trutrac is a full posi unit. It'll act just like stock. Which is what you want for cornering.

The spool will only allow both tires to turn the same speed all the time. Which will cause you to have to make wider turns & drag your inside tire around corners. This is great for drag racing, not good at all for autocross though.

The locker is the one that pops when turning. You won't break it in a straight line, but your not gonna be happy attempting autocross with one in thats for sure. The clunking sound it the locker locking/unlocking during turns.

Both the locker & spool are mainly a good choice for a drag racing set-up. Some guys drive them on the street, but not autocross.
I agree, go with the Truetrac. Bob