See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Front brakes, issues, need advice..

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 01:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front brakes, issues, need advice..

I had my front brakes replaced about a year and half ago for the first time and car had about 38k miles on it. Needed front rotors also since the stock ones were below specs. At first I had ceramic pads and I didn't like the way the braking felt, so went with premium metallic pads. I should have just done them myself, but was something I needed done fast and I just had a shop do it. So here are the issues. When cornering at high speeds the brakes float, to the point it doesn't even slow the car down much until I pump the brake once. It did it even worse with the ceramic pads. During normal conditions it is perfectly fine, but lets say taking a offramp at 60 and hard braking it slows the car then the brakes feel like they let loose kinda like the abs is kicking in too soon. I'm not sure what to do.. I dont think it is the pads since I went through 2 different types, so my only guess would be the rotors. Never did this before the new front brakes. back brakes are still the original and car has around 40k now. Ohhh, and thinking about it, on staight stops even at super high speeds all is good, is only when turning and high speed braking.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Whenever I change pads and rotors, to single out as many possible issues as I can, I always:

clean and relube the caliper pins
put in new brake hardware shims, boots, clips
flush brake fluid

These cars often have stuck/dirty pins and these are what allow the caliper to slide. I'm not sure if shops usually relube and clean these, but I do it every year on my Camaro.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

I'm assuming the rotor itself is solidly mounted to the hub plate, of course, but;

Caliper "float" is caused by the rotor pushing against the outer pad during hard cornering, causing the caliper piston to be forced into the chamber. Pull the wheels and check for play in the wheel bearings ( push/pull on the rotor, up, down, side to side; if there's any movement of the hub assembly, time for a replacement). Worn bearings are the chief cause of float for our cars, and most Corvettes too.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Do the calipers "float" a little if they had been drained of fluid? then filled back up? this is after a new pad install, and my calipers in front seem to move a good bit, even after I added fluid and bled. The more I read, the more it seems like I just need to get new rotors, and relube the pins, along with getting new crush seals for the line. Probably better than all this troubleshooting I'm doing. Driving me nuts.