LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Running erradically-need tune?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 02:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running erradically-need tune?

I just bought a 96 T/A from my buddy today, and I'm trying to get it running good. It has a 94 corvette motor, with the LT4 hotcam kit.
It idles really weird, different than how a normal cammed motor should.. sometimes it tries idling at 500 rpms, other times its around 1100 rpms.
Also, it seems at low rpms, under load it really dogs down, like a major miss or something.. then all of a sudden, it kicks you back in the seat, almost like a nitrous hit, when it starts running right.
If you give it a good amount of throttle, and go through the gears, it seems to miss every once in a while in the higher rpms, between 3500-6000.
Another thing it does, is when you're slowing down to a stop sign, it'll often stay revved to about 1500, until you make a complete stop, then bounce down, and go around 800ish rpms, and idle like crap, nearly dying. Sometimes it almost feels like it's giving throttle for you as well, I could idle through town in 3rd, because it was around 1500 rpms for whatever reason.

Now, do I simply need a tune? I just put in a Walbro 255 pump, and it did it before and after. My friend recommends getting a fuel pressure regulator.. Would that do anything?
What about optispark, could it be that? It's a fairly new one, we put it on when we swapped the motor in, about 500 miles ago. (motor has 30,000 miles)