Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Wheel Nut Torque

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel Nut Torque

So here is the story...

Cleaned my rims and was going to out the wheels back on. This is the first time I had the rims off since I got the car and the lug nuts were very hard to remove even with an 18" Breaker Bar. Anyhow I put the rims back on and used a torque wrench to tighten them down to 100 lbs/ft. I did use some anti seize lube on the nuts. I wanted to see how hard it was to take a nut off at 100 lbs/ft and it really was not hard at all... My question is, is there something wrong with my torque wrench or did the guy before me just really tighten his wheels down?
Old 03-04-2008, 03:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He really tightened them. I can break the 100ft/lbs really easy (my wheels get swapped constantly for autox).
Old 03-04-2008, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd recommend against using anti-seize. Opinions vary, but unless you never rotate your tires or you go years without breaking them loose, you won't have a corrosion problem that would be troublesome, and anything you put on the threads makes the torque wrench inaccurate.

Just a heads-up.

Byrdman
Old 03-04-2008, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he over did them and from being on so long, they probably rusted up. i also swap rims alot for autoxing, and 100lbs is surprisingly easy to take off. i usually run 105ish for racing, just for the hell of it, and 100 on street tires.