Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New Competition clutch, standard ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 03:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Competition clutch, standard ?

Okay, just had it done, Competition clutch with new p. plate and flywheel, and have some questions.

First, this thing is nice, a bit heavier pedal than stock, but not bad... reminds me of a mechanical clutch a bit. It isn't broke in, obviously, but no chatter and a good slightly progressive engagement, hooks up solid when engaged - it felt like the car gained quite a bit of torque and a bit more from a stop (running it easy from the stop, gotta break it in... but it wants to GO, heheh).

The question is this: it now engages/disengages at the very bottom of the pedal travel, right off the floor... is this normal? I thought I would give it some time, let it get broke in, but this is way different than where the stock clutch engaged... stock was at the top of the pedal travel.

I'm new to the f-body, but not new to high performance cars, and I've never had a car with a clutch like this.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try doing a search, the answer to this question is very easy to find. During break in the clutch will engage right off the floor (because of brand new disks etc.) as it breaks in the engagement point should rise up quite a bit.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:34 PM

Sorry, I did a search and found a lot about new clutches, just not anything about how they affect the pedal travel and engagement. Maybe I didn't search well enough. Anyway, thank you for the info, I feel better knowing this.

I guess I've used my one stupid newbie qestion now, lol, so I'll refrain from asking anything that might offend those who already know these cars, I'll just figure it out myself... been there, done that before. I can always find info somewhere, without worrying about pissing someone off.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LS7 clutch is well documented on how it engages off the floor then moves to the middle once broken in, other clutches don't usually get a mention on this aspect as they usually draw out more pressing concerns other than a low engaging pedal. This is probably why search didn't turn out much for you or that perhaps you were too specific.

Sometimes the whole search and you will find it is not a definite answer to a man's question.

Unless you are in with the terminology used around here, searching a straight answer is tough. Not everyone is well versed on how to effectively use a search tool.

Keep asking questions but do what you can through search. Those of us who have been there and done that will answer.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:07 AM

Thank you for that post, I really am trying to get used to the fact that I'm running a GM car now. I was always a mustang guy, until I test drove the car I own now... it is simply amazing, but I have a lot to learn about these cars. I could easily build a mustang, but these cars are different... they are better! I do understand that I lack knowledge of these cars, this engine, but I have one now, so i want to make it the best it can be.
\
That's why I'm here now, to get advice and knowledge from those who know this platform. Yes, I'm a newb, but not so much of a newb as some kid, lol.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

heh, just read and if ya dont know dont be scared to ask. some people are st8 forward and help ya as much as they can. others r grouchy and dont help much ;D knowledge comes with time. and welcome to the ls1 =) good choice!

Quick Reply: New Competition clutch, standard ?