Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Whats negative about FI?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats negative about FI?

If i were to supercharge or turbo charge the LT1. what kind of adverse effects would i notice? Major loss in mpg's? if i ever did something like this, it would be more for monetary gains, nothing higher than the packaged psi.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:06 AM
11 Second Club

The only way you should really loose any gas milage F/I over N/A is when your driving hard. I get around 21mpg highway with my turbo setup...when your cruising around, taking it easy...its like the turbo isnt even really there so It shouldnt affect your gas milage too much...also depends alot on your tune and how accurate it it.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what do you mean for monetary gains???
Old 03-10-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will get thrills with forced induction. Thats for sure. The negatives will be the domino effect of breaking the weak links. Once the first weak link breaks get ready for some serious money spending until you fix everything to withstand the power.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:59 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys forgot to mention increased under the hood temps. Boost leaks from time to time. You should do maintenance more. Need for stronger drivetrain. Last but not least... Less TRACTION!!
Old 03-10-2008, 08:59 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

big increase in HP and a corresponding big decrease in wallet thickness
Old 03-10-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Veteran

You might get more speeding tickets or crash the car from all that hp. You will likely be spending more on tires. You will go thru brakes faster. You might take out stock engine if you go past 7psi or so. Mileage as said should stay the same if you stay out of boost. heck it might even improve a bit. You could take out tranny and rear end at higher boost levels and you might need to uprade tranny depending on power levels.Clutch will need upgrading in a standard. Some turbo setups cause you to lose things accessories like air at least in ls1 cars. And working on some things on the engine might be harder ,again depending on the turbo system ,where it mounts the turbos etc.

Mostly there is no downside. Turbos and supers are awesome fun. Been in sts lt1 car, and procharged lt1 car. Both put huge smile on your face. Procharger blew the ringlands out and so did the sts car. Sts car guy had problem figuring out his boost controller. Put like 15psi thru it. It was super fast.for a few minutes. ATI guy got mad when lost to a buddies heads,cam,header ls1 and upped his boost a bit past 8psi. Goodbye stock ringlands.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

its a lot of fun, when it works right.

it sucks when stuff breaks. set aside some cash for a built short block incase things go bad.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:27 AM
11 Second Club

What's negative about FI?

hmmm...

yeah, this should about cover it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/878366-sts-observations-questions-inside-other-dyno-sheets-please.html

there's always this, too:

View Video on FQuick
Old 03-10-2008, 11:05 AM
FormerVendor

Everything costs 2x/3x what you think it will...and theres alot of small maintenance issues on a FI car...
Old 03-10-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

well, if i were to go FI i would most likely go with very low psi levels, i dont want to blow my car apart. But i also would do a procharger type kit, where everything i need comes with it and it all works. Would it even be worth it for 5psi? I just think that if i ever rebuilt another motor, it would be H/C since FI is so costly.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The negative of supercharging is the speeding tickets you will get.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default negitives

Negitives ,?Hum! Your marrage is #1, because the women always wants to fight when the UPS or Fed EX man shows up with boxs the sizes of dog houses. LOL!!or better yet,!!When they start finding receits that you hid!!Or when companys start calling your house leaving messages with tracking numbers or about delivery dates, Or totals on iteams you bought with rent money,Better yet ,LOL!!FOOD MONEY!!LOL!!Dude,I could go on and on Hopfully you got one cool *** bitch, or better yet !!!Single Good luck either way man,LOL!!!Its tough going FI when marriedwith children
Old 03-12-2008, 12:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ckyconan2003
where everything i need comes with it and it all works.
biggest misconception about kits....they are never complete and still requires a lot of work/money to get in strong running order.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I disagree, while my procharger instructions sucked the big one, I cant think of one extra peice that I need to buy when I got my kit from EPP. Bob even loaned me the crank pinning tool so I would not have to buy one. between having a little bit of knowledge working on cars and this site and Bob at EPP everything will go fine with your install
Old 03-12-2008, 01:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lmt0705
I disagree, while my procharger instructions sucked the big one, I cant think of one extra peice that I need to buy when I got my kit from EPP. Bob even loaned me the crank pinning tool so I would not have to buy one. between having a little bit of knowledge working on cars and this site and Bob at EPP everything will go fine with your install
He said strong running order, so it came with a tune?, a built rear end?, built tranny?, forged motor?, the list goes on....

my wallet is the biggest negative that I can think of

Quick Reply: Whats negative about FI?